It's possible, but it'll be far easier just to reinstall to the new drive and then copy over your old /home.
That'll preserve most of your settings.
You might even like to install a newer version while you're at it, or Kanopix...........![]()
I just bought a new harddrive and now I want to move my linux install from my old drive over to a much larger partition on my new drive. I don't mind reinstalling, but i'd like to avoid it if possible. I searched the forums, but they only told me how to move my home directory. I want to move my entire install over. Is it possible to do this? If not, can I save all my settings so I can use them again?
It's possible, but it'll be far easier just to reinstall to the new drive and then copy over your old /home.
That'll preserve most of your settings.
You might even like to install a newer version while you're at it, or Kanopix...........![]()
There is a program designed to do this and I've sucessfully used it too.
Go here: http://mkcdrec.ota.be/project/
Disk cloning is a feature of mkcdrec Try it you'll like it.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage
$199.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99