-
Knoppix 5.0.1 printing from command line
Hi all,
I have been googleing a lot around this, but found no solution or valuable hint to understand.
I need to configure and run a printer, using cups, all this from the command line.
I have successfully configured the queue with foomatic-configure (after fixing the database with foomatic-cleanup-drivers), then I use lpr to send a job to the printer. No printing starts! I enabled cups debug verbosity in the logs and figured out I have a problem writing to /var/spool/cups/tmp. This looks coherent with the permission/ownership scheme of /var/spool/cups which is :
drwx--x--- 4 root lpadmin
Since I run the server as user "lp" and group "lpadmin" (I think this is default, but I also tryed to force this setting in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf), when the filter calls "gs" as user "lp" this program is unable to access /var/spool/cups/tmp.
BTW I can succesfully print if I hack /var/spool/cups permission or if I run cupsd as root, but this doesn't sound a good solution so I ask if anyone can tell me the right way to fix it.
I also found a different suggestion for spool dir permission scheme, but I'm not sure if it apply to cups 1.1.23 (the one shipped with my Knoppix 5.0.1) at http://www.linuxprinting.org/error_log-faq.html#q_3_9. This should work for the situation but drwx--x--- is default in knoppix (and even on my Ubuntu 6.06 box). The permission/ownership also seem to be "reset" every time I restart the server, so hacking it sounds again more dirty.
TIA for any suggestion!
Andrea
Similar Threads
-
By Mongoose in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
-
By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM
-
By TyIsOwned in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
-
By snake001 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$246.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99