-
How to get sound working (VIA VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97])
I have been having problems with sound under Linux a few years when I had SuSE installed on my comp (7.3 at the time). After I removed SuSE I played around with live CD's for ages and recently installed Knoppix 3.7 on my HD (next to Win2K)... Still no sound. sndconfig says the model is VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/Audio] and that it is not currently supported. Is this true? This has been in my computer for a few years now, why is it so hard to support this one? Win2K picks it up without a hitch...
For those interested or who mihgt have an answer, here's the result of lspci -v:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev02)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
Memory behind bridge: d6000000-d7ffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d4000000-d5ffffff
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686/A PCI to ISA Bridge
Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at c000 [size=16]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
I/O ports at c400 [size=32]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
0000:00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
I/O ports at c800 [size=32]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
0000:00:07.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
Capabilities: [68] Power Management version 2
0000:00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 3400
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
I/O ports at cc00 [size=256]
I/O ports at d000 [size=4]
I/O ports at d400 [size=4]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
Subsystem: Guillemot Corporation: Unknown device 0020
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
Memory at d8010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:00:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
Subsystem: DIGICOM Systems, Inc.: Unknown device 1031
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
I/O ports at e400 [size=8]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
Memory at d6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 1
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
Thanxxx in advance for any info anyone might be able to share with me.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By empro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-12-2004, 06:03 PM
-
By greygooseplz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 10:12 AM
-
By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 04:31 PM
-
By raj0 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 02:11 AM
-
By Sukrillux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95