-
Trouble Booting
Hello,
I know, I've searched the forums...
I'm having trouble booting. It won't boot at all. Here's some more information:
- When I burned it, I extracted the ISO and then burned the files. So, the files are like D:\knoppix\ where D is the CD-ROM, so basically I burned it correctly. I don't think you need to specify anything else or do I, when burning? I've done burning several times and they all worked, bootable CDs.
- The MD5 sum verifies I downloaded it correctly.
- If I put in the CD under Windows, it shows up the documentation page or whatever.
- I've changed the BIOS settings, still nothing. I know what I'm doing, so it's not my fault on this end. The computer is an old Pentium II, 300MHz or so with 378mb of ram, so it meets the requirements.
- It doesn't boot on my other computer, but something was strange. Once I booted, it says "Boot CD-ROM: __" but doesn't say "Press any key to boot..." of which it normally does.
I really want to get this working...
Thanks in advance,
achtunga
-
Senior Member
registered user
I still think that it's in the burning.
I've no idea what burning software you're using, but what you have to do is to "burn as image".
There's absolutely no need to extract stuff from the .iso and -- although Windows may tell you different -- it isn't a rar archive.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Trouble Booting

Originally Posted by
achtunga
...- When I burned it, I extracted the ISO and then burned the files. So, the files are like D:\knoppix\ where D is the CD-ROM, so basically I burned it correctly. I don't think you need to specify anything else or do I, when burning? I've done burning several times and they all worked, ...
If you extracted anything from the iso then you did not burn Knoppix correctly.
It does not matter that you can see the directory structure on the CD you built. We do sometimes use not being able to see the directory structure as a way to demonstrate to people that they have burnt the CD improperly, but if you extracted the directory structure from the iso and then threw that down on a CD you would have a directory structure, but not a bootable Knoppix Linux CD. That does not make it bootable. And you never want to use an option in your burning software to make it bootable.
Accept the fact that you might need to learn something here. Follow the documentation link at the top of this page and read the downloading faq. Check your md5 sum, burn the iso as an image, and burn it at a slow speed like 4x (and use a 700 meg CDRW if you have one, at least until you get things right).
-
I've done CDs before and they've worked...
Owell I solved it.
Similar Threads
-
By britonk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
-
By Blaurens in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:07 PM
-
By njmetalmeister in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
-
By Polo2883 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
-
By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS
$100.00

Vintage PB-64 64K RAM Printer Buffer Parallel Computer Printer Interface
$74.99

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*
$50.99

Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB
$49.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37