Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Trouble Booting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    Trouble Booting

    Hello,

    I know, I've searched the forums...

    I'm having trouble booting. It won't boot at all. Here's some more information:

    - When I burned it, I extracted the ISO and then burned the files. So, the files are like D:\knoppix\ where D is the CD-ROM, so basically I burned it correctly. I don't think you need to specify anything else or do I, when burning? I've done burning several times and they all worked, bootable CDs.
    - The MD5 sum verifies I downloaded it correctly.
    - If I put in the CD under Windows, it shows up the documentation page or whatever.
    - I've changed the BIOS settings, still nothing. I know what I'm doing, so it's not my fault on this end. The computer is an old Pentium II, 300MHz or so with 378mb of ram, so it meets the requirements.
    - It doesn't boot on my other computer, but something was strange. Once I booted, it says "Boot CD-ROM: __" but doesn't say "Press any key to boot..." of which it normally does.

    I really want to get this working...

    Thanks in advance,
    achtunga

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I still think that it's in the burning.

    I've no idea what burning software you're using, but what you have to do is to "burn as image".

    There's absolutely no need to extract stuff from the .iso and -- although Windows may tell you different -- it isn't a rar archive.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Trouble Booting

    Quote Originally Posted by achtunga
    ...- When I burned it, I extracted the ISO and then burned the files. So, the files are like D:\knoppix\ where D is the CD-ROM, so basically I burned it correctly. I don't think you need to specify anything else or do I, when burning? I've done burning several times and they all worked, ...
    If you extracted anything from the iso then you did not burn Knoppix correctly.

    It does not matter that you can see the directory structure on the CD you built. We do sometimes use not being able to see the directory structure as a way to demonstrate to people that they have burnt the CD improperly, but if you extracted the directory structure from the iso and then threw that down on a CD you would have a directory structure, but not a bootable Knoppix Linux CD. That does not make it bootable. And you never want to use an option in your burning software to make it bootable.

    Accept the fact that you might need to learn something here. Follow the documentation link at the top of this page and read the downloading faq. Check your md5 sum, burn the iso as an image, and burn it at a slow speed like 4x (and use a 700 meg CDRW if you have one, at least until you get things right).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2
    I've done CDs before and they've worked...

    Owell I solved it.

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble booting
    By britonk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
  2. Trouble with booting
    By Blaurens in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:07 PM
  3. trouble booting
    By njmetalmeister in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
  4. Trouble Booting
    By Polo2883 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
  5. trouble booting
    By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY  picture

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY

$600.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



SAMSUNG M393A2K43CB2-CTD8Y 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

SAMSUNG M393A2K43CB2-CTD8Y 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$160.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50