Apparently I have success.
Things to note: I had to use:
iwconfig wlan0 essid "my_network"
I had to quote my network name for some reason. The network name is one word. Whatever works!
Its midnight:30 so robustness testing will have to wait...
Well, I'm making progress. Booting up the Knoppix 3.8 CeBit stuff on my desktop with the USB wireless dongle installed is starting to work. After installing the drivers using ndiswrapper I get blinking lights on the dongle. The Knoppix WANsetup tool does a little bit of magic as well. It doesn't talk yet though.
So, it looks like some of the newer software on the 3.8 disk is what was required. I suspect it was the later version of ndiswrapper.
Now I'll re-image the laptop HDD and give it a go. No point in proceeding with the desktop at this stage.
Wish me luck...
Apparently I have success.
Things to note: I had to use:
iwconfig wlan0 essid "my_network"
I had to quote my network name for some reason. The network name is one word. Whatever works!
Its midnight:30 so robustness testing will have to wait...

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00