Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Booting from an external USB CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18

    Booting from an external USB CD

    Here's the setup.

    Presario 2100. The internal CDrom is present but DOA. XP resides on the complete HD. (single Partition)

    I have an external USB CD drive and both knoppix 3.7 and 3.8.

    I can get the base KNOPPIX: prompt if I set the bios (just updated) as follows:

    Legacy USB Spport: ON
    Boot Order: CDROM, Removable Device, HD, etc

    what occurs:
    I enter whatever cheatcodes I am tryuing at a given moment.
    The screen shows that the .gz files are expanding.
    screen blanks and refreshes with white text warning that a particular bridge is experiemental
    loong pause during which the USB CD goes to sleep
    USB scan starts.
    SOme text appears too quickly for me to read

    then it says "KNoppix file system not found." and I am left with a prompt and a couple comands that I really dont understand

    I have tried just about every cheat code that seems relevant from the cheatcodes.txt. toram, fromhd=/dev/uba1 (or cda1?) bootfrom=/dev/uba1

    I am downloading a new iso to try sticking it on the hd as a raw.iso file and trying to boot from it.

    any other suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    ah HA!

    If I use 3.7 and boot with bootfrom=/dev/scd0 it is successful.

    If I use 3.8 or *even* 3.7 with the knoppix26 cheatcode it tells me to piss up a rope.

    So apparently I need to either:

    figure out how that bootfrom is replicated in the 2.6 kernel OR just use the 2.4 kernel in knoppix 3.7

Similar Threads

  1. booting knoppix from an external drive on an old laptop
    By cheeney in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix from external cdrom/dvd drive
    By MrGreen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 08:08 PM
  3. Booting from external USB hard drive
    By mbl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
  4. Booting knoppix off an external usb-hdd
    By orgler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
  5. Booting to external HDD - optimization
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00