-
Installing Modem driverson Dell Inspiron 1100
Ok. For the past few weeks I've been trying to install modem drivers under Knoppix. The problems started when I discovered I had a "winmodem" and that there really was no support for the Conexant HSF Softmodem under Linux. I downloaded the Linuxant modem drivers and tried to install them. Unfortunately it came up with a read/write error, unable to write to the filesystem. I tried setting up a persistant home on a USB storage device and installing the drivers there but to no avail. Then I decided To try it on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with a PcTel modem. I downloaded the drivers (pctel-0.9.7-9.tar.gz), unpacked them and tried to install them. After I resolved the "please enter your hal type" problem, I continued the install. But, alas the same problem. "can not make directory" file system is read only. I used the following command to install the drivers, ./setup. Now the question. Is there any way to install these drivers to the USB device, in my persistant home or something? How do I get around the read/write thing? My hard drive is formatted NTFS, not FAT. It seems like it should be a common thing, but I really haven't been able to come up with any info on it across the internet. If someone could help me out or atleast point me to an answer I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By candtalan in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2006, 08:57 AM
-
By jimeee in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
-
By linuxprince in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
-
By Billabong9305 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM
-
By melknin in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple
$60.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed
$129.99

Vintage SuperMac PixelPaint Professional 2.0 Apple Macintosh Software Complete
$70.00

256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh 670-0269 works with 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2
$76.20

Vintage Apple iMac 2003 G4 15" 1GHz PowerPC G4 1GB 80GB HDD Mac OS X 10.4 M6498
$250.00

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99