I see I am not alone in my issues with CROM mounting and soundcard detection post-hdd install
would it make any difference if I did a debian-type install instead of the knoppix HD install?
I see I am not alone in my issues with CROM mounting and soundcard detection post-hdd install
would it make any difference if I did a debian-type install instead of the knoppix HD install?
The CDROM thing is probably easy to fix - it's usually just a matter of someone turning the road signs to face the wrong direction, so we turn them back around.
The sound card, though, could be a matter of hardware detection. Do you get the Knoppix start-up sound when you boot from the CD?
Knoppix is at the top of the heap for hardware detection. It's not perfect, so there's stuff it doesn't find. But when that's the case, finding a distro that works for you can involve trying one, then another, then.... unless you can find a posting by someone with your same brand of card who found something that works.
But if you do go shopping for another distro, Linux sarge and Progeny Linux are the two I've tried that seem to do hardware detection almost as well as Knoppix. Other posters have mentioned other distros that solved their hardware problems, but I haven't used (or needed) them.
-- Ed

Micronik A1200 Infinitiv Tower, NEW IN BOX, Commodore Amiga 1200 Kit
$1472.50
RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00
Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00
Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00
Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs
$950.00
Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz
$300.00
Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested
$225.00
Phoenix SCSI/IDE Enclosure For Commodore Amiga & Others
$49.75
Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99
External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive
$135.00