If you do delete stuff on an ntfs filesystem from Linux you will destroy the filesystem.
If you still want to go ahead, mount the partition through the icon, click on actions and r/write enable and that should be it.
Hey all,
I am having problems deleting files in knoppix on a ntfs partition.
I booted up into knoppix 3.7 using the live cd.
Then I went to "devices" and right clicked on hda1 and "mount"
I went into the command konsole and typed the following:
"su" (which logged me in as root)
I typed the following: "mount -o remount, rw /mnt/hda1"
then I typed "rm -rf file:/mnt/hda1/Program Files/test"
but it did not seem to remove the directory
I would like to know what I am doing wrong. Thanks alot
-Tiepo
If you do delete stuff on an ntfs filesystem from Linux you will destroy the filesystem.
If you still want to go ahead, mount the partition through the icon, click on actions and r/write enable and that should be it.
Sorry could you please be a bit more specific I am very new to knoppix.Originally Posted by fingers99
And yes I do want to go through it. I have my hdd backed anyway.
I have clicked the icon and the hdd is already mounted. When I go to action only
Send file per mail>
Zip File>
Send zip file>
Show up.
MS did a lot of stuff to make and keep NTFS propritary. While Linux can read NTFS well, it still can't write to it safely. This includes both writing files and deleting files. There is software called "captive ntfs" that claims to be able to write to an NTFS partition, but from what I've seen in the support forums it's more like playing Russian Roulet with a bullet in one chamber rather than with bullets in five of six chambers.
Since you have the disk backed up anyway, there is no good reason to do this. If it did look like it worked you may well end up with a corrupt disk that may come back to haunt you later. The only good reason to do it would be if you didn't have a backup and needed to get Windows up just long enough to recover important files before you reformatted and reinstalled everything. If you already have a good backup then don't mess with this, it will catch up with you in the end if you do.
Yeah I have backed up all important files. and Can completely wipe my hdd and re-install windows (if I wanted too).Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
I just really want to get this delete thing working properly. Was I on the right track? Im really trying to expand my knowledge of knoppix here. Anymore assitance would be great![]()
OK, I'd do what Harry says --- you've got all the stuff you need from that HD. So, re-install Windows, but this time make a fairly large fat 32 partition as well as ntfs (use Windows to do this). I say fairly large as it'll act as a partition to share stuff between Linux and Windows, safely. Before you put anything on that partition you might even look at making some of it a "persistant home directory" for Knoppix.
ok thanks. fat 32 will have to do![]()

Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic ICs - Lot of 4 - SOLDER PULLS
$175.00
RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*
$299.99
Vintage Retro Handheld Computer 386SX 16MB RAM with 2-Hour Battery and USB Port
$412.91
Vintage Apple Macintosh 80MB SCSI 2.5" Hard Drive IBM WDS-280 PowerBook 1992
$65.00
RARE ISA Video Card, S3 P86C928, 2MB (Diamond Stealth Pro) Vintage, Working
$179.99
Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk
$250.00
ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working
$74.99
ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (Diamond SpeedSTAR24) Vintage, Working
$84.99
Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX
$850.00
Vintage MetaCreations Bryce 3D Software RARE w/ Serial
$145.00