-
Knoppix 3.8 (CeBit) Live CD - Help!
Hi,
I'm a newbie and someone as recommended to me the knoppix 3.8 live cd version of Linux for a simple reason: I need to install a program of linguistic analysis based in this OS but I have Win XP SP1 on my laptop. I want to give Linux a try, but I need to keep using windows...at least for now.
So,
The problem I had with other Live CDs was that I couldn't write or save anything on my (hard) disk (since it is NTFS, as far as I know). This problem is supposed to be solved with Knoppix 3.8, right? But...
First of all, when I tried to install a rpm file (a "part" of the program whose function is unknown to me...) it would't let me because I need a "root" password. I couldn't decompress the program files either. I have read in a thread I can set the root password by typing "sudo su" in any console. OK, I will try that. But still I have a question: in case I'm able to decompress and/or install the program...where would it be written and stored? I don't want it to overwrite any windows file! Does Linux create any directory of folder where it keeps and install programs permanently (which I can check even if i log out, from my windows system?)
I hope I'm not forced to partition my disk (yet) for running the program I need.
Thank you very much for your help and forgive my ignorance 
Best regards,
Becu
Similar Threads
-
By Eppo in forum German Forum
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
-
Replies: 156
Last Post: 04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 13
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
-
Replies: 35
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By Jack_ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00

Vintage Intel 8085 CPU Processor Board Ceramic Gold IC Industrial Military Rare
$199.95

Vintage 1988 LASER Compumate 2 - Your Take Along Office
$49.99

Toshiba TDP-S26 DLP Projector Vintage 2005 For Parts Does Not Power On
$24.99

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37

Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED
$58.85