Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: using alien and installing deb packages

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    31

    using alien and installing deb packages

    I have rpm packages that I need to convert to deb and then install (under Knoppix 3.4).

    I read the instructions and it seems quite straightforward ...

    I first did (as root): # alien xxx.rpm
    ... which created xxx.deb

    I was pleased about that.

    The instructions (in my Knoppix manual) said I should simply click on the file and it will install. I tried this and found that all that happened was that the conents of the deb file were displayed.

    I tried running xxx.deb from the command prompt but this also didn't work.

    Can anyone help me here? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to run from command prompt with certain switches?

    Any tips would be gratefully received.

    Regards,
    Alan Searle

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Pull up a console, navigate to the directory you've got your package in, and become root; then issue the command

    dpkg -i packagename.deb

    (One thing that may cause problems is dependency issues. Good luck.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    A better bet (because of the likely dependency issues) is to use apt-get. You won't find many .rpm packages that are not available as debs and the reverse is true.

Similar Threads

  1. Need your attention, please. (about installing packages)
    By chocorello in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 02:14 AM
  2. Selecting packages when installing
    By knithx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
  3. installing rpm packages using apt
    By jsweatte in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM
  4. Installing RPM packages
    By HewJass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 04:34 AM
  5. installing rpm packages on KNOPPIX
    By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM picture

Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM

$79.95



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Micron 32GB MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E7 RAM 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG Memory picture

Micron 32GB MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E7 RAM 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG Memory

$249.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED picture

M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED

$289.00



Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage. picture

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage.

$3.99



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00