Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: RPL boot from Knoppix Terminal server?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    58

    RPL boot from Knoppix Terminal server?

    I have a PC with a VIA P4X333 chipset, the bios will only net boot
    using RPL (Remote Program Load), can Konppix term. server do it?

    I've Googled & can't find info on setting up a RPL boot server, so I
    don't know what changes to make to Knoppix, IF IT CAN BE DONE.
    Saw links for a free Linux RPL damon, but none panned out.

    Hate to say it, most likely it's a lost cause, DAMN VIA corp.!
    ALL 3 PCs I have are VIA chipsets, where did I go wrong?

    What's a good NIC that has PXE boot built into it, for cheap?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    This might be of interest, I have a motherboard that has a via rhine chipset it has RPL & PXE available. To change it you need to hit shift & tab right after the bios setup has gone by. On an older monitor(slow to warm-up) you might not see the option.
    johnb

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    58

    Thanks... not an option!

    Shift + Tab menu is: Boot from Network & Boot from Hard Drive.
    Same problem another poor soul was complaining about.
    VIA may have some bios flash fix for PXE boot, too much trouble!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    58

    VIA mutherbrd fixed... bought 3com nics on eBay

    Emailed ECS motherboards about only RPL & NO PXE or Bootp ability.
    THEY SAID the MB HAD NO BOOT ABILITY AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!
    IDIOTS don't even know their own products, but I've seen that before!
    To my knowledge most motherboards with VIA chip sets only support
    RPL boot protocol, at least the OLDER ones are that way.
    The motherboard maker chooses the BIOS, & it has the boot protocols.
    Other M.B. makers with VIA chips or other chipsets may be the same.

    Problem fixed by going on eBay & buying 3com nics: "3c905c-txm".
    Got 10 used ones for $30, that's $3 each! - $8 new at PriceWatch.com.
    I've seen on the web that Intel PRO-100 nics will PXE boot also, but
    I don't see a driver for it in the Knoppix3.3 term. server setup, a new
    version of Knoppix may have drivers for the Intel nic, I don't know.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    Shift + Tab menu is: Boot from Network & Boot from Hard Drive

    sunburnt what happens when you try and network boot?
    let me know how those pxe nics work-out.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    58

    RPL boot & 3com nics... Reply

    Two of my ECS M.B.s with VIA chips, a 1.7g Celeron & a 1.8g Athlon, are older.
    Netbooting says: "RPL-ROM-FCC: 1-n" ( count to a number & then HD boot ).
    Needless to say Knoppix is looking for a PXE boot request & nothing happens.
    The newer ECS VIA M.B. I have, a 2.4g Athlon has "Enable Boot Rom" in the
    BIOS selections, & one of them is PXE boot.
    It boots to Knoppix term. server fine, BUT the 3com nics are MUCH FASTER!!!
    So much for M.B. integrated I/O always being faster than PCI plugin cards.
    The 3com nics are super in every way, fast as I had heard they were & also
    lower cpu usage, which the newer ECS PC I have shows with its slowness.
    The 3coms have a utility for setting boot type ( just press Ctrl. + Alt. & b ).
    As I've heard, Intel PRO/100 nics PXE boot & are fast also, but I'm not sure
    if Knoppix supports them, you'd think so... IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW!

Similar Threads

  1. PXE boot without Knoppix Terminal Server
    By thewolf in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 08:01 PM
  2. Knoppix Terminal Server
    By glug in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 01:52 AM
  3. Start My Knoppix Terminal Server At Boot
    By zandoval in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 03:39 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13

$79.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95



Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10

$1505.77



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF picture

Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF

$39.95



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00