-
xosl installation fails
ok, i tried now the version with xosl... but unfortunately i can not install it. 
i have my completely new notebook, and i started it with knoppix to format the whole harddisk... i created a fat16 partition of 100mb where i'd like to install xosl...
i start with windows 98 cd to dos mode.
i start the xosl install.exe from a cd that i burnt before.
i tried to install it to a dedicated partition and to a dos drive (i selected both time the 100mb fat16 partition).
but when i hit install it told me that an error occured! on the right it tells me that it tried to create a file and that this action failed...
i have no idea what i've done wrong... any idea? thanks a lot! 
josh
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: xosl installation fails

Originally Posted by
Josh83
but when i hit install it told me that an error occured! on the right it tells me that it tried to create a file and that this action failed...
i have no idea what i've done wrong... any idea? thanks a lot!

I'm not clear on what your error is or how you got it. It's been a while since I've installed XOSL and talked others through it; I had no problems at all, a friend created a problem for himself in the floppy making step when the instructions called for a completely empty formatted floppy and he decided that he could/should use a bootable ormatted floppy with DOS on it. When he finally admitted he was doing that the problems went away.
I'm not sure about your Win98 DOS mode. When I installed XOSL I booted a DOS floppy and when from there. That might be your problem, but I can't say for sure. You should be able to format a bootable floppy in Win98 and ue that.
-
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Glad you got it working. As to the partitions, you can have up to 4 real partitions on the hard drive. One can be an extended partition that contains additional logical partitions (there is a limit on how many logical partitions go in an extended partition, I forget what it is. You might be able to exceed this limit somewhat by having multiple extended partitions, I'm not sure, have never tried that.) People wanting as many partitions as you often install extra hard drives. There are some "tricks" for having more than 4 real partitions on a hard drive but I would avoid them as most software does not know about them and some software (disk defragmenters and the like) might be confused by the stuff and overwrite data. I believe that both 98 and even xp can run from logical partitions, but the MS installers don't like to install them there. The best approaches to this are to either leave them on primary partitions or install them on primary partitions and then copy them to extended partitions with tools like Norton's Ghost. As far as I know any Linux can boot from a logical partition. I think the small XOSL partition can be on a logical partition on the extended partition as well, but I've not done this. I would think you might want to put XP and 98 on physical partitions and see how many logical partitions you can get, then start planning your other partitions.
-
thank you very much for your info.
i'm gonna try that.
Similar Threads
-
By udippel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
-
By sakiZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
-
By morter in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-02-2004, 10:59 PM
-
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-04-2003, 11:47 PM
-
By benpark22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99