Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: English language

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    English language

    Hi,
    I have just run Knoppix for the first time and all the menus and text is in another language.

    I tried clicking the us english icon in the bottom right, but it didnt change anything ?

    How can i make it english ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    KMenu (icon at bottom left > Settings > Control Center > Country/Region & Language.

    The flag icon just changes the keyboard.

    My guess is that your iso is labelled KNOPPIX_V3.6 DE (German) rather than KNOPPIX_V3.6 EN.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    My guess is that your iso is labelled KNOPPIX_V3.6 DE (German) rather than KNOPPIX_V3.6 EN.
    Why do you assume that is is running 3.6 instead of 3.7 or even 3.8?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evergreen,Co
    Posts
    28
    Just as a comment, if you screw around with Knoppix enough you can get just about any combination of English and German throughout. It's amazing to see KDE in German and all your input in English. Or how about doubleing everything in the application menu up: half German, half English. I can't believe I'm the only one clever enough to accomplish this

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give it a go

    I'm running 3.8 - 2005

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by adammc
    I'm running 3.8 - 2005
    There is no official 3.8 release yet. The CeBit version of 3.8 was a German version. One of the unofficaial torrents posted had been modified to run in English (and to run in Windows if you have an awful lot of memory). Read the CeBIT thread in the News section for more details.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    Ooops, guess I downloaded the wrong file then LOL

    I made the changes in the settings, I'm now getting some english and some ... Dutch (i think)

    Can I change this or am i going to have to download the english version ?

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by adammc
    Ooops, guess I downloaded the wrong file then LOL

    I made the changes in the settings, I'm now getting some english and some ... Dutch (i think)

    Can I change this or am i going to have to download the english version ?
    I downloaded the "modified" English version and all I've seen is English. You can wait for an official English version, use the cheat code at startup to force englisg (which I think is all the modified version does), or use what you have.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    My guess is that your iso is labelled KNOPPIX_V3.6 DE (German) rather than KNOPPIX_V3.6 EN.
    Why do you assume that is is running 3.6 instead of 3.7 or even 3.8?
    Harry, Harry, it was late at night, I was copying and pasting, and I'm sure the principle is easy enough to follow...............

  10. #10
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Harry, Harry, it was late at night, I was copying and pasting, and I'm sure the principle is easy enough to follow...............
    It would be for 3.7. But it turns out he is trying to get an unofficial 3.8 release to work. Since there is no official DE and EN release of 3.8, he just can't apply the same principle.

Similar Threads

  1. How to change language from German to English
    By quddusaliquddus in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM
  2. Language Barrier German VS English
    By kd5ob in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 04:16 AM
  3. Add English-GB as a default locale/language??
    By lordylordy in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 07:07 PM
  4. Howto change language from German to English
    By GaTk in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 01:37 PM
  5. How do you set language to english by default when booting
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 02:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



2xM393A4G40AB3-CWE SAMSUNG 32GB (1X32GB) 1RX4 PC4-3200AA SERVER MEMORY picture

2xM393A4G40AB3-CWE SAMSUNG 32GB (1X32GB) 1RX4 PC4-3200AA SERVER MEMORY

$690.00



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston ValueRAM 64GB (32GBx2) DDR4 SDRAM Memory Module (KVR32S22D8/32) picture

Kingston ValueRAM 64GB (32GBx2) DDR4 SDRAM Memory Module (KVR32S22D8/32)

$350.00



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98