Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Cannot login other than root, pls help

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14

    Cannot login other than root, pls help

    After installing Knoppix 3.6 on my laptop, knoppix was working fine till one day I ran out of space .
    I created new extended partition on free space using qtparted as I had about 60% disk unused. After that I am not able to login to KDE as normal user. I can login as root and changed password for normal user but when I logout and try logging in using login screen , when I select another user and try logging in, it does something and shows me login screen again.
    If I enter wrong password, it immediately says login failed but on correct credentials, keep on getting login screen again and again
    Pls. help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    What did you do after you created the extended partition? They can't be used by themselves, they have to have logical partitions inside them. Did you make a logical partition, or more than one maybe? Then what did you put on them?

    -- Ed

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    Yes I did create logical partition on extended one. After logging in as root I could mount it as /mnt/hda5 (this was recognised and appeared in /etc/fstab). I have put in some mp3 files there
    Thanks,
    Bhushan

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    Hmmmm. What I'm wondering is whether something happened to your home directory /home/username. Root's home directory is /root, so it isn't affected by what goes on in /home.

    Could you show us the lines in your /etc/fstab that start with /dev/hd...?

    -- Ed

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda1 none swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    Thanks,
    Bhushan

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    Okay, well, so much for an easy answer - or at least, that easy answer. It's possible that QTParted stole some of your /home directory to make the new partitions, but it's supposed to be pretty safe.

    I think the next thing I'd do is check to make sure your user space is still okay, which would narrow down the possibilities to just losing some setting that affects X or KDE, probably.

    Try starting Knoppix in console (non-GUI) mode with the boot parameter (cheatcode) 2. That puts it in run-level 2 instead of the default 5, which is where KDE gets started up automatically.

    Log in as user instead of root and look around your home directory. In particular, see what configuration files you have. These are normally hidden by having names that start with a period, so the default ls command doesn't display them.
    Code:
    $ ls -d .*
    The -d option keeps ls from showing the contents of directories.

    -- Ed

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for immediate response, will check that. Also I tried selecting different window manager (IceWM) from GUI login box and was able to login as normal user. Pardon my ignorance but does that mean something with KDE setting is messed up as well.
    Thanks,
    Bhushan

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    There are system-wide settings for X stuff and KDE stuff that are stored in other places, and then user settings that are stored in your home directory. So if root can log into KDE and use the same applications as you used to be able to do as user, then the system-wide settings should still be good.

    With IceWM working, I'm wondering if it could be a memory problem. How much RAM is installed, and how big is your swap partition - and did you change its size when you repartitioned?

    In a situation where memory is marginal, it's theoretically possible that root could still run KDE because its configuration is pretty minimal - by default Knoppix/KDE doesn't want you to run the GUI as root for security reasons - but the user's configuration could be enough to swamp memory and crash KDE.

    At least you know that your display manager is working. That's the program that's responsible for putting up the login window. It does almost nothing else to speak of, just being the piece between X and the window manager (like IceWM) or window-manger-plus-kitchen sink (like KDE).

    KDE installations use kdm, Gnome installations use gdm, and there's also xdm. But they're all the same size, so there's no reason to think about the display manager any further.

    I'm really guessing here, but I'm still making somewhat ed-ucated guesses!

    -- Ed

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    Thanks.
    I have 128M RAM and 300 M swap space. As far as I remember I did not modify swap space but will double check. Thanks again.
    Thanks,
    Bhushan

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    Well ... it sounds like enough RAM and swap. Here's what they say about minimum system requirements on http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html:

    20 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products)
    According to that, you should be able to at least get into KDE, though you wouldn't want to run OpenOffice.

    -- Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Login as ROOT
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
  2. How do root login
    By mienque in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
  3. Root login
    By Dark19 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 03:41 AM
  4. login as root? how?
    By Mogiin in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:02 AM
  5. Login as root
    By 1st_time in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


57pc UNUSED RAM Memory Lot DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 G.SKILL HyperX ADATA Kingston Micron picture

57pc UNUSED RAM Memory Lot DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 G.SKILL HyperX ADATA Kingston Micron

$750.00



16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM picture

16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM

$75.99



16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade picture

16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade

$121.99



Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM picture

Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM

$70.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot of x14 SK hynix 32GB DDR4 ECC Registered RDIMM PC4-2400T HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH picture

Lot of x14 SK hynix 32GB DDR4 ECC Registered RDIMM PC4-2400T HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH

$2100.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



RDIMM MICRON  DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks  5600 RAM picture

RDIMM MICRON DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks 5600 RAM

$449.00