Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Help, after reboot (HD install) wireless card not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Help, after reboot (HD install) wireless card not working

    I am very new to Linux so please be patient with me. I have a Dell laptop that I did a HD install on and everything went well. I configured my wireless nic and was able to surf the net until I rebooted. During boot up I saw that the card settings were being applied but once I logged in the card was I guess disabled. When I went to try and reconfigure the wireless nic it was not available. It was nic 0 nic 1 is the built in nic. I reinstalled and had the same results. Befor the reboot when I tried to configure the NIC I would get a choice between eth0 and eth1. 0 is the wireless PCMCIA nic and 1 is the built in nic.

    FYI I have 128 bit encryption enabled.

    I have looked around and do not see where the NIC info is being read from during boot up.

    Any guidance would be appricated. Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17
    I had sortof the same thing happen, my NIC is a Linksys WPC11 vs 3. For some reason when I installed the Knoppix version of the HDD install it did the same thing but when I installed using the Like Debian option my Card works fine.

    Which install did you do and what brand and type is your card.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    I did the sudo Knoppix-installer each time.

    My NIC is a CISCO Aironet 350 PCMCIA Wireless LAN Adapter.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17
    When you do knoppix-installer and configure your installation it will ask you what type of install do you want to do and gives you three options to choose from. If you use the Debian option (the last one on the list) it should take care of the problem at least it did for me.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Ok, I see what you are talking about. I will give it a try, I was using the top choice.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    I am making some progress, at least I think I am. I installed using the Debian install but now I am unable to get the Wireless card to talk to my network. this is odd, during the boot up process the NIC lights are blinking and when I log in to the desktop the lights are still blinking for a few min then go off. both the NIC and wireless config wizards are aware of the NIC.

    The boot up process is so fast I can't see if there are any errors or problems.

    Any ideas?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by chopperman
    Quote Originally Posted by NML
    I am making some progress, at least I think I am. I installed using the Debian install but now I am unable to get the Wireless card to talk to my network. this is odd, during the boot up process the NIC lights are blinking and when I log in to the desktop the lights are still blinking for a few min then go off. both the NIC and wireless config wizards are aware of the NIC.

    The boot up process is so fast I can't see if there are any errors or problems.

    Any ideas?
    Just to let you know, I am having the exact same problem with a cisco 340 pcmcia on a presario 2100

    I have fiddled with iwconfig, ifconfig, etc.

    I can see the AP. and wavemon says everything is correct and bits are flying. But there seems to be some confusion on the systems part about the difference between eth0 and wifi0. In other words I can configure eth0 exactly as if it were the card and it behaves just like the wifi card...except none of the apps can get connected to the net. I can do the same things with wifi0 *except* I cant manually config IP addresses and such.
    bump. any info would be helpful

Similar Threads

  1. wireless card not working
    By pheonix991 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
  2. xpost: wireless card not working after HD install
    By chopperman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 11:48 PM
  3. Wireless card not working
    By cuberds in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 01:15 AM
  4. wireless card works with live cd but not with hd-install
    By amitram2001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:18 AM
  5. ADMtek wireless card not working
    By wanttolearn in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Silent Service Atari 1040/520 ST Disk By Microprose Factory Sealed- BRAND NEW picture

Silent Service Atari 1040/520 ST Disk By Microprose Factory Sealed- BRAND NEW

$24.99



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95