-
stripped base system, no apps.
Has anyone done a stripped Knoppix, Xwin, & KDE as a good base to start from?
It would be a great starting point for lots of Knoppix based variations.
If someone has base setup of a recent Knoppix version they would share,
please post a reply. Maybe it will be web hosted so all can benefit from it.
I know I could use it to build a pxe boot & app. server, & diskless workstation.
I want the clients to run the apps. mounted NFS on the server, to unload the
server & LAN, so more clients can run. Server is old PC, cilents are new PCs.
Perhaps if anyone has done work of this type maybe they would share it?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: stripped base system, no apps.

Originally Posted by
sunburnt
Has anyone done a stripped Knoppix, Xwin, & KDE as a good base to start from?....
Wouldn't that pretty much be Debian? And if it was on a Live CD (the basic concept of Knoppix), pretty useless? Maybe with the new file system built into 3.8 we would have more use for such a thing once people start to understand how to really make use of the file system and add stuff to it and resave everything. Still, I wouldn't expect a system quit as stripped down as you suggest; it might be at least nice to have a tool to download other things with.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I know I could use it to build a pxe boot & app. server, & diskless workstation.
I want the clients to run the apps. mounted NFS on the server, to unload the
server & LAN, so more clients can run. Server is old PC, cilents are new PCs.
Perhaps if anyone has done work of this type maybe they would share it?
It sounds like you may want to start with ClusterKnoppix as a base to work from.
-
Cluster Knoppix is what I was thinking about too.
But I can't figure out if OpenMosix is good for setting up a bunch of
standard desktop PCs for a variaty of purposes, home, office, etc.
Isn't OpenMosix for computing clusters, folding at home & seti stuff?
I'm not sure what would be different about it than regular Knoppix,
for office, gaming, library, keosk, call center, & net cafe type setups.
Maybe it's just the fact that it's tweaked to setup & maintain easier.
If Cluster Knoppix IS suited for this it's probably the way to go...
Part of my aim is to have the client be a standalone OS running from
a cloop file in a ramdisk, small ramdisk size & lower server & LAN use.
Morphix has a split up cloop files I think, maybe good start for clients.
Similar Threads
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
-
By samlutley in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 08:34 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:03 PM
-
By athlonthunder in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99