Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how to mount a modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4

    how to mount a modem

    Hi, Just booted Knoppix on a Thinkpad, ran 'LSPCI" to see if there is a modem detected,, there is.,,, so I need to know how to associate what I see in the lspci list as modem to a device such as /dev/modem. Below is the output of LSPCI that relates to my modem:
    0000:02:02.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
    Latency: 0 (63000ns min, 3500ns max)
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
    Region 0: Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Region 1: I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
    Region 2: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    Another question: Do I need to install Knoppix on a hard drive to save configuation files? (I have a mountable memory key)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    This a very good site for winmodems http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ especially scanmodem utility http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanmodem
    Do I need to install Knoppix
    I think you musrt install it on hdd. There are some new ways of dooing things, but this is in experimental period(?).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Thanks tdjokic, i have the information I need from the modem site.
    My PC recognizes my modem ok. I can use kppp.
    When I configure my modem, I need to tell Linux the device address (/dev/ttyS0, or /dev/ttuSL0).
    I've tried '/dev/modem' ..... I get a message saying Knoppix cannot find /dev/modem
    I've tried '/dev/ttyS0' ........ I get a message saying device is busy

    What my question now is: What address do I assign to my modem when configuring it? ttyS0, ttyS1?,,, how does one decide what the address must be?

    Scanmodem output:

    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ scanmodem


    UPDATE=2004 July 30

    Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 0000:02:02.0
    with vendor-ID:device-ID
    ----:----
    0780: 11c1:0449 (rev Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    SubSystem 1468:0410 AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
    0000:02:02.0 0780: 11c1:0449 (rev 01)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
    A PCMCIA modem is detected.


    From this output I see what i need to get the drivers (11c1:0410) but nothing in this to say what address I should assign to the modem.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT picture

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT

$129.95