Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how to mount a modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4

    how to mount a modem

    Hi, Just booted Knoppix on a Thinkpad, ran 'LSPCI" to see if there is a modem detected,, there is.,,, so I need to know how to associate what I see in the lspci list as modem to a device such as /dev/modem. Below is the output of LSPCI that relates to my modem:
    0000:02:02.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
    Latency: 0 (63000ns min, 3500ns max)
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
    Region 0: Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Region 1: I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
    Region 2: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    Another question: Do I need to install Knoppix on a hard drive to save configuation files? (I have a mountable memory key)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    This a very good site for winmodems http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ especially scanmodem utility http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanmodem
    Do I need to install Knoppix
    I think you musrt install it on hdd. There are some new ways of dooing things, but this is in experimental period(?).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Thanks tdjokic, i have the information I need from the modem site.
    My PC recognizes my modem ok. I can use kppp.
    When I configure my modem, I need to tell Linux the device address (/dev/ttyS0, or /dev/ttuSL0).
    I've tried '/dev/modem' ..... I get a message saying Knoppix cannot find /dev/modem
    I've tried '/dev/ttyS0' ........ I get a message saying device is busy

    What my question now is: What address do I assign to my modem when configuring it? ttyS0, ttyS1?,,, how does one decide what the address must be?

    Scanmodem output:

    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ scanmodem


    UPDATE=2004 July 30

    Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 0000:02:02.0
    with vendor-ID:device-ID
    ----:----
    0780: 11c1:0449 (rev Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    SubSystem 1468:0410 AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
    0000:02:02.0 0780: 11c1:0449 (rev 01)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
    A PCMCIA modem is detected.


    From this output I see what i need to get the drivers (11c1:0410) but nothing in this to say what address I should assign to the modem.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.21



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung PM9A1 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD picture

Samsung PM9A1 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

$135.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



ST31000528AS SEAGATE 1TB SATA 3GB 7200RPM HDD picture

ST31000528AS SEAGATE 1TB SATA 3GB 7200RPM HDD

$19.90



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive

$29.90