-
how to mount a modem
Hi, Just booted Knoppix on a Thinkpad, ran 'LSPCI" to see if there is a modem detected,, there is.,,, so I need to know how to associate what I see in the lspci list as modem to a device such as /dev/modem. Below is the output of LSPCI that relates to my modem:
0000:02:02.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0 (63000ns min, 3500ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Region 1: I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
Region 2: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
Another question: Do I need to install Knoppix on a hard drive to save configuation files? (I have a mountable memory key)
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
This a very good site for winmodems http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ especially scanmodem utility http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanmodem
Do I need to install Knoppix
I think you musrt install it on hdd. There are some new ways of dooing things, but this is in experimental period(?).
-
Thanks tdjokic, i have the information I need from the modem site.
My PC recognizes my modem ok. I can use kppp.
When I configure my modem, I need to tell Linux the device address (/dev/ttyS0, or /dev/ttuSL0).
I've tried '/dev/modem' ..... I get a message saying Knoppix cannot find /dev/modem
I've tried '/dev/ttyS0' ........ I get a message saying device is busy
What my question now is: What address do I assign to my modem when configuring it? ttyS0, ttyS1?,,, how does one decide what the address must be?
Scanmodem output:
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ scanmodem
UPDATE=2004 July 30
Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 0000:02:02.0
with vendor-ID:device-ID
----:----
0780: 11c1:0449 (rev Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
SubSystem 1468:0410 AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
0000:02:02.0 0780: 11c1:0449 (rev 01)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
A PCMCIA modem is detected.
From this output I see what i need to get the drivers (11c1:0410) but nothing in this to say what address I should assign to the modem.
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By markpelletier in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
-
By FarAway in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99

32GB 2Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA - SE1-13 (x2) 64GB - Memory
$260.00

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz
$87.00

32GB 2Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA - SE1-13 (x2) 64GB - Laptop Memory
$260.00

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested
$29.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00