-
Senior Member
registered user
Disk Cloning?
Hi, I have tried three open source disk cloning programs but they didn't work .
I have a disk that s.m.a.r.t says is failing. Partlogic-.0.53 & g4u do not load/boot
Does anyone have any experiance with software that can clone a drive-not just stuff
that claims to. Or am I better off using, yuck, propriatary software?
BTW I'm not running windows and the drive that's failing has 7 different partitions on it.
Thanks.
-
Knoppix contains everything you need to clone a disk.
If you'd describe exactly what you're trying to do, someone
will probably tell you how to accomplish it.
Some programs you might want to research:
dd and nc
partimage
I've used both of these methods, but you'll need to rtfm. If you want
point-and-click, you'll probably need to spend some $.
Possibly, the programs you tried didn't "load/boot" because
you neglected to read the manual. Did you write the images properly,
or did you just copy them to a floppy/cd?
At google:
clone.disk knoppix
http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints...s_cloning.html
http://www.partimage.org/
You'll find that point-and-click windows-like apps usually cost $$,
while open source projects would just like you to read their docs.
It's your choice.
Have Fun
-
Senior Member
registered user
dd will work , but it wil sadly also copy the errors over with it.
personally i would make a full "image" of the drive, then mount that and copy from there to a hdd partition, being certain i mount READ ONLY, why? so i have a "good" image to do any "rescue" from.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ghaze
Knoppix contains everything you need to clone a disk.
If you'd describe exactly what you're trying to do, someone
will probably tell you how to accomplish it.
Some programs you might want to research:
dd and nc
partimage
I've used both of these methods, but you'll need to rtfm. If you want
point-and-click, you'll probably need to spend some $.
Possibly, the programs you tried didn't "load/boot" because
you neglected to read the manual. Did you write the images properly,
or did you just copy them to a floppy/cd?
At google:
clone.disk knoppix
http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints...s_cloning.html
http://www.partimage.org/
You'll find that point-and-click windows-like apps usually cost $$,
while open source projects would just like you to read their docs.
It's your choice.
Have Fun
Yes I did rtfm! and I know how to write iso images to cd and how to use dd or cat to write to floppy.
I also have used dd to copy partitions but I've found it doesn't work so well if the new partition has a different partition number. My post probably sounded terse because I had spent the better part of the day trying to get one of the cloning programs I mentioned to work only to discover that it's buggy, and that's borne out by the reviews of it at freshmeat, which I didn't read fully until after I had problems.
So what I want to do Is clone this entire drive with all the partitions intact i.e usable and bootable.
I have debian woody, knoppix, slackware, mepis, and kanotix on the drive I want to clone, and i want to
copy them all keeping permissions and ability to boot. I can use mkcdrec but it is alot of work and I'll have to
do each partiton indivually-maybe that's the way I'll end up with because I know that program and it does work.
As OErjan said sometimes dd seems to work until you try to access the data.
-
Senior Member
registered user
what os are you cloning?
i hasve used cp to make fully working clones of my linux installs to new disks.
i just parttion it with same number of parttions and then use cp -ax to move everything over (one partiton at a time)
i then chroot into the install that was "hosting" the bootloader and reinstall that from there. not very complicated and works in most cases.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thax OErjan, I'm cloning linux-all the distros I mentioned above. I already have a grub set up on my 1st disk and it's pretty easy to edit menu.1st. The problem or concern I have is if I try to move all the different distros they obviously won't be in the same partition order that they are now. (I already have one install on the 1st disk-there's plenty of room on the disk-but I don't know if the bootloaders will work right. i.e in installing these system I installed the loader (lilo or grub) to the partition instead of the MBR so in my lead distro I can just use rootnoverify and chainload from there.
In my experiance when I've moved a partition the boot fails it might start but something goes wrong. Sorry for the long reply but that's my best explanation of where I'm at. And thanks again for the cp -ax command-argument. Perhaps I would be better off trying to install to a same size hard drive which means buying another drive. (?)
-
Senior Member
registered user
just edit lilo.conf and grub.1st on those to point to the right partition if you are woried.
to be honest i would not, as long as you point first grub right it should be OK to boot any linux distribution without any aditional loader/s.
works for me, and yes i have done it multiple times.
last week was latest, after a disk crash i moved my / on the server to a new disk, worked great (and still does).
and to resure you i have done it to disks with up to 6 (six) OS; win 98, Slackware, Debian, redhat, mandrake and suse. With win i used a start diskette and did a SYS C: to get booting, I then chrooted into the linux withch "hosted" the loader and reinstalled it, yes ALL the linuxes shared same bootloader.
Similar Threads
-
By ferrel in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
-
By drjawn in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
-
By xeoron in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 10:31 AM
-
By MethodMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By Balaam in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$79.00

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)
$34.99

KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256
$22.89

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 980 500GB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD MZ-V8V500 - Tested Working.
$50.00

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99