Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

    boot: knoppix26
    pauses indefinitely at: Starting init process.INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
    on a desktop Dell NTFS Win XP PC here, bought new last December.

    I get the "(very limited)" cat/ mount/ mod shell only from the bootline: knoppix26 hda=ide-cd. Bootlines that hang include: knoppix26, knoppix26 noscsi, knoppix26 nodma, knoppix26 hda=ide-scsi. I burned iso of Knoppix 3.7, checked the md5sum, "verified" the CD-R, twice. The default empty Knoppix 2.7 bootline boots 2.4.27 no worries, except the HDD is not found. I have run boot: memtest thru Test % reaching 100 and starting over.

    Please advise how I could investigate this further.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    Re: knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

    Ah.
    boot: knoppix26 noagp noaudio noapm noapic acpi=off nodma nopcmcia noscsi nousb
    worked once. I'll now retry and binary search. I built that bootline by guessing I could knoppix26 for knoppix after a Google search of knoppix failsafe gave me
    http://www.knoppix.nl/3.7/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    Re: knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

    boot: knoppix26 acpi=off

    works. Thus I now have a working Knoppix 3.7 boot line, so I'm done here ... unless you think I can help discover why acpi=off is needed here.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot hangs just after "INIT: version 2.78-knoppix"
    By onnrmf in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix 3.6 - hangs at INIT stage
    By shedhog in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 05:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  5. worked before, now hangs at INIT!
    By chrsjav in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$155.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$949.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$305.98



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$305.98