Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

    boot: knoppix26
    pauses indefinitely at: Starting init process.INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
    on a desktop Dell NTFS Win XP PC here, bought new last December.

    I get the "(very limited)" cat/ mount/ mod shell only from the bootline: knoppix26 hda=ide-cd. Bootlines that hang include: knoppix26, knoppix26 noscsi, knoppix26 nodma, knoppix26 hda=ide-scsi. I burned iso of Knoppix 3.7, checked the md5sum, "verified" the CD-R, twice. The default empty Knoppix 2.7 bootline boots 2.4.27 no worries, except the HDD is not found. I have run boot: memtest thru Test % reaching 100 and starting over.

    Please advise how I could investigate this further.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    Re: knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

    Ah.
    boot: knoppix26 noagp noaudio noapm noapic acpi=off nodma nopcmcia noscsi nousb
    worked once. I'll now retry and binary search. I built that bootline by guessing I could knoppix26 for knoppix after a Google search of knoppix failsafe gave me
    http://www.knoppix.nl/3.7/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    Re: knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok

    boot: knoppix26 acpi=off

    works. Thus I now have a working Knoppix 3.7 boot line, so I'm done here ... unless you think I can help discover why acpi=off is needed here.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot hangs just after "INIT: version 2.78-knoppix"
    By onnrmf in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix 3.6 - hangs at INIT stage
    By shedhog in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 05:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  5. worked before, now hangs at INIT!
    By chrsjav in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Schlesinger 17

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC

$99.99



Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag picture

Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag

$127.77



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99