-
Junior Member
registered user
I agree....I don't want to rush....but then again.....I WANT to rush! It's nice to have a glimmer of hope! ha!
I was running Windows XP Home SP2 on this Sony Vaio laptop. I had been out of town for a few days and when I came back, I was checking email and what not and noticed everything running very slow. All of a sudden the computer just rebooted and I got an error (don't even remember the error now). Turned it off for a bit and turned it back on, and Operating System Not Found....that's about it really. A 4 month old brand new top of the line laptop goes kaput for no reason (which is the BEST reason for them to go!)
On the Knoppix Desktop are: Trash. CD-ROM, Floppy disk and KNOPPIX....that's it....no partition icons :/ Not sure why or how they would have been destroyed. After I shut off the computer, it has sat shut off for a couple of months now until I recently started to work with it. So maybe we are working with destroyed partitions? So Knoppix is meant to auto-detect these partitions? I'm willing to get my hands a little dirty myself before sending it off for the dirty (and expensive) work to get done for me....
Thanks for the book suggestions and the links. I have actually come across most of the threads that you mention, including the one from today where you mentioned Helix. Browsed the Helix site, but was not sure what it was for. My biggest problem is that I have never worked with Linux before, but I think I should pick it up quickly. I have come across a few mentions of gpart but am not sure what to do with it. Will keep reading though.
until you better understand what caused the problem, what the problem is, and what you really want to do about it.
This is my biggest issue....I don't know what caused the problem or what the problem actually is, so I don't KNOW what I want to do about it :P
Similar Threads
-
By Chris2222 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
-
By adamj in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
-
By dagatorman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By thebyrd in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$275.00

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$225.00

Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$48.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET
$69.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4
$59.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99