-
Junior Member
registered user
I agree....I don't want to rush....but then again.....I WANT to rush! It's nice to have a glimmer of hope! ha!
I was running Windows XP Home SP2 on this Sony Vaio laptop. I had been out of town for a few days and when I came back, I was checking email and what not and noticed everything running very slow. All of a sudden the computer just rebooted and I got an error (don't even remember the error now). Turned it off for a bit and turned it back on, and Operating System Not Found....that's about it really. A 4 month old brand new top of the line laptop goes kaput for no reason (which is the BEST reason for them to go!)
On the Knoppix Desktop are: Trash. CD-ROM, Floppy disk and KNOPPIX....that's it....no partition icons :/ Not sure why or how they would have been destroyed. After I shut off the computer, it has sat shut off for a couple of months now until I recently started to work with it. So maybe we are working with destroyed partitions? So Knoppix is meant to auto-detect these partitions? I'm willing to get my hands a little dirty myself before sending it off for the dirty (and expensive) work to get done for me....
Thanks for the book suggestions and the links. I have actually come across most of the threads that you mention, including the one from today where you mentioned Helix. Browsed the Helix site, but was not sure what it was for. My biggest problem is that I have never worked with Linux before, but I think I should pick it up quickly. I have come across a few mentions of gpart but am not sure what to do with it. Will keep reading though.
until you better understand what caused the problem, what the problem is, and what you really want to do about it.
This is my biggest issue....I don't know what caused the problem or what the problem actually is, so I don't KNOW what I want to do about it :P
Similar Threads
-
By Chris2222 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
-
By adamj in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
-
By dagatorman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By thebyrd in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 With Power Supply Floppy Drive Parts
$100.00

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*
$299.99

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ
$179.99

6 LB Mixed Lot of Vintage PC Cables /Adapters/Connectors - SATA/Optical/IDE/SLI
$34.95

Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk
$250.00

Tandy 1000 TX Personal Computer Vintage PC very clean untested no accessories
$199.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box
$100.00

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99