Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: HD installation doesn't work?

  1. #1

    HD installation doesn't work?

    Hi,

    I don't know whether anyone asked this question before:

    I got an empty hd and I created two partitions just like in the manual. After that I booted into the Knoppix 3.7 cd-rom and installed linux with "sudo knoppix-installer". By then everything worked without problems and the installation finished without any errors. I said lilo should be installed to the mbr and after all I rebooted my pc. But my computer told me that no operating system is available. What have I done wrong?

  2. #2
    Someone an idea? It won't work

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    hmm, sounds like it afailed to write the botloadre OR the install failetd at some point.. retry and take note of ANY messages during boot.

  4. #4
    That's what I wonder about. There is no message at the terminal over the entire installation. I choose my options, it copies all files and configures it, I decide where the lilo will be written to (I tried both mbr and root partition) and it finishes without any errors. After rebooting my computer just tells me "no operating system"

    I also tried to install Mandrake 10.1 but it failed cause of "missing" a specific file on cd. I can't believe that because it works fine at other pcs. I believe my computer doesn't want linux

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sounds like you have an older CD reader. that and a CD burnt at higher speed can sometimes do things like this. burn slowly (2-4X) and try to use a diferent brand of media.
    and some old CD readers can NOT read the full 700M of a knoppix CD.

  6. #6
    I know what you mean but I install from a new dvd-rw burner and it hasn't really problems reading the cds...

    It seems mandrake has some problems catching the irq of the hd. What does it mean? May there a general problem?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Two things I can think of:

    some bioses have a boot sector blocker which is labelled as an AV package. Effectively this prevents anything writing to the mbr. Make sure it's disabled. (historically most viruses were actually planted on the boot sector, so this was once a good idea )

    Try booting with the CD and doing

    sudo /sbin/lilo

    you could even try sudo /sbin/lilo -b /dev/fd0 (that's zero, not o) with a floppy in the drive which should give you a bootable floppy. man lilo for other ideas.

    Let us know how you get on.

  8. #8
    some bioses have a boot sector blocker which is labelled as an AV package. Effectively this prevents anything writing to the mbr. Make sure it's disabled. (historically most viruses were actually planted on the boot sector, so this was once a good idea Smile )
    Hm... I got an amibios and it doesn't offer an option protecting the mbr or something like that


    Try booting with the CD and doing

    sudo /sbin/lilo
    I tried it and that was the answer:

    Code:
    Unrecognized token "! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo!" at or above line 20 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'
    What can I do? I hoped to install Linux this weekend and nothing won't work till now. Mandrake doesn't start installing because of "missing" a file, the Knoppix installation doesn't really work after setup and I can't try more Linux distributions ...

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    just post your /etc/lilo.conf here.

    it should be easy enough to edit using kwrite or joe

  10. #10
    I can't look into this file cause I don't have the authorization

    At Knoppix, how can I log in as root to access /etc/lilo.conf? Password shoudn't be the problem, but I can't change the user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mozilla profiles work for Windows and won't work for Musix
    By ml2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
  2. Soundcard Yamaha don't work under K3.3, work under K3.2
    By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
  3. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  4. What to do after installation?
    By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
  5. Use of USB HDD installation
    By publiusi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00