Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: noapic??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1

    noapic??

    I read a post saying to try the cheat noapic if you are having problems with network and sound. Well, lucky, this time it worked, but most of the time it doesn't. It doesn't seem to work when I put in the cheat knoppix26 toram noapic. Can anyone explain the sugnifigance of the noapic? And why the toram messes with the nopaic cheat? Also, when I get knoppix to work perfectly, what can I do to save the configuration? Can I use the SAVE KNOPPIX CONFIGURATION in the Knoppix menu? I thought I saved it the last time it worked, but it didn't boot correctly.
    Here is my lspci when it is working well. I will put in my lspci when it is doing quite the opposite. Thanks in advance!!

    October

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce CPU bridge (rev b2)
    0000:00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 220/420 Memory Controller (rev b2)
    0000:00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 220/420 Memory Controller (rev b2)
    0000:00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 01aa (rev b2)
    0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce ISA Bridge (rev c3)
    0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce PCI System Management (rev c1)
    0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce USB Controller (rev c3)
    0000:00:03.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce USB Controller (rev c3)
    0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Ethernet Controller (rev c2)
    0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio (rev c2)
    0000:00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce PCI-to-PCI bridge (rev c2)
    0000:00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce IDE (rev c3)
    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce AGP to PCI Bridge (rev b2)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 If [Radeon 9000] (rev 01)
    0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Radeon 9000] (Secondary) (rev 01)
    0000:05:07.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    Yeah, I want to know more about this noapic because that's the only cheat that would let knoppix boot on my PC.

    why ubuntu 5.04 hoary boots without noapic on my PC?

    I found this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APIC it's too late to read it. so maybe someone could do a summary of all that

    I'll come back later to read what you guys have to say.

    P.D: it's already april, when 3.8 would be read to the public?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I have 3.8 for week now, my suplier of Linux CD had it very soon... My lilo.conf was modified at 24.03.2005 - this is a date I installed 3.8!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53

    *Obivious question* Who/Where is ur Linux suplier?

    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    I have 3.8 for week now, my suplier of Linux CD had it very soon... My lilo.conf was modified at 24.03.2005 - this is a date I installed 3.8!
    Yeah, where did you get it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I bought it at my local Linux CD store, but later they say to me thet you can find it on Google: "Knoppix 3.8 ISO" but I don't know how.......

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evergreen,Co
    Posts
    28
    3.8 iso has been available by bit torrent for about a month now at various download sites. Here's one with a couple of options. http://stacktrace.org/

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53

    Go back to the topic

    Ok, cool. knoppix is on bit torrent.

    now lets talk about the real topic. What's up with noapic?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evergreen,Co
    Posts
    28
    Patience is cool! Now here is a link to explain what apic is and does. http://osdev.berlios.de/pic.html. Perhaps this will assist you in understanding noapic. The apic/noapic problem has been around linux for eons. Since I don't write code I can't explain the linux/intel interface. More than likely other answers will be "yeah, it works for me" or as in my case "Everything works as is"

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evergreen,Co
    Posts
    28
    Ah, I see you've experienced patience. I have returned ahead of you. I'm sure I will be banned from this forum for all eternity for the next link that will actually explain why devices can come and go with apic/noapic. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/apic.mspx

    Goodbye All!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by whoeverheis
    I'm sure I will be banned from this forum for all eternity for the next link that will actually explain
    Why? Facts are facts, no matter which source they come from!! Thank you for the link.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
  2. Help!! How do u bootr with NOAPIC??
    By 7777777 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99