Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: intel network card setup?

  1. #1

    intel network card setup?

    Hmmm so I got Knoppix running, now I have a Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter network card that allows me to access my cable internet through the router.

    Knoppix won't seem to recognize my connection. I have seen that it recognizes the card by showing me eth0. But I use a DHCP server, and whenever I do that DHCP automatic setup it won't give me anything back. What could be causing the no internet connectivity?

    The router perhaps?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    If you are running from a hardrive check in /etc/network/interfaces and make sure you have the lines.
    Code:
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    #Added by me for DHCP
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    If they are not there add them and re-start the network (/etc/init.d/networking restart in a root console). DHCP is not enabled by default.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm. According to this your card should work fine so it most likely has to do with the way you are configuring things. You might want to check dmesg or do a lspci to be sure.

    First question: Is the router set up to hand out addresses via DHCP. Might sound like a dumb question, but I don't won't to overlook something simple.

    Second: Have you tried setting it up manually? If you have windows installed on the machine, you can just copy down all your network info and put it into netcardconfig. Then try pinging stuff and try pinging the machine.

    Post back after you have set things up manually and let us know what's going on.

  4. #4
    Hmmm, strange enough all I did this morning was restart the computer with the knoppix in the drive and it just recognized the internet connection. alrite guys thanks for your help anyways.

    that was strange.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    It's a good thing when that's all it takes. Glad to hear it's working now.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I have problems all of the time at school getting a dhcp address from the schools windows 2000 dhcp server, actually redhat 7.3 would only get an address about 1/3 to 1/4 of the time. If I didn't get my network up I would retry and if I couldn't get an address assigned I would have to wait a while, reboot and hope. We have a lot of small power outages that reboot a computer that isn't on a UPS (which I didn't have for quite a while) so this was a major problem, I'd get to school and not have a networked computer so no printer.

    I just installed Slackware 9.0 and it cannot get an address by dhcp from the windows server at school, in Slackware I can manually setup the networking and I can see other computers in the school network but I cannot access the internet. Debian and knoppix work almost all of the time as far as getting dhcp addresses from the school's server. The funny thing is, all of these same systems RedHat 7.3, Slackware, etc. always get a dhcp address from my linux routers (e-smith or freesco) at home so something is very different in the windows world of networking (especially dhcp).

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. How to setup Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG?
    By Rafael in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
  2. intel/xircom network card...almost there?
    By mabhatter in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 02:57 AM
  3. Intel PCMCIA PRO/100 SR can't find network
    By mabhatter in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 06:01 AM
  4. help me to setup network
    By iqbal_ktop in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
  5. eepro100.o e100.o network module (intel network cards)
    By david in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00