Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: An explanation of UNIONFS?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    35

    An explanation of UNIONFS?

    Would someone be able to give me a run down of what UNIONFS is and what it does?
    I understand that it's a filesystem allowing write-only and read-write branches, but how is it used with Knoppix 3.8? Will it be a way of creating space on a hard disk allowing Knoppix to read and write to the disk, while keeping the CD read-only, or am I missing the point? I'm a little confused as you can probably tell

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    I have a short writeup of what UnionFS means for Knoppix here:

    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654

    I don't go into it in explicit detail, but you can read the official UnionFS project page for that level of info anyway.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    35
    Ok, I think I get it now, just confirm if I'm right if you would:

    <=3.7, you could edit /home and use the Save Configuration utitlity to save the settings and files to a disk, e.g. a USB drive or a hard disk.

    With UNIONFS, Knoppix is completely read/write, meaning you can install new programs on the /ramdisk, then save/restore in the same way you could with /home on <=3.7 (I understand it's slightly mroe complex than that, but I see that as the basics)

    Is that right?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    Well in fact, you don't even have to think about the /ramdisk yourself, you just write directly to /usr/ or whatever directory you want, and UnionFS figures it all out for you. Then you run the persistent script so that the changes are saved.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16

    disk space and unionfs

    I am running 3.8 from an iso image on the harddisk and swap on the harddisk however persistent homedir is not enabled.

    According to mount, /UNIONFS is the union of /ramdisk and /KNOPPIX

    According to df, the size of /UNIONFS is 6.1G - but /ramdisk is 391M and /KNOPPIX is 1.9G - so where is the other 4G coming from?
    Code:
    knoppix@1[tmp]$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root             3.4M   23K  3.4M   1% /
    /dev/hda1              28G  4.7G   22G  18% /cdrom2.loop
    /cdrom2.loop/knx38.iso
                          695M  695M     0 100% /cdrom/
    /dev/cloop            1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /KNOPPIX
    /ramdisk              391M  391M     0 100% /ramdisk
    /UNIONFS              6.1G  6.1G     0 100% /UNIONFS
    Also, when I wrote the large file to /ramdisk that filled it completely, there was considerable disk activity. I am wondering what on the harddisk it would be writing to.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    35
    How much swap do you have? That could explain the disk activity.

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. does knoppix, use aufs? or unionfs? ...still says /UNIONFS..
    By starlyptErin_. in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
  2. Explanation of How Knoppix Boots on any PC.
    By whitesky009 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
  3. Root file system links to UNIONFS (e.g. bin -> /UNIONFS/b
    By Jim Tonic in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
  4. Cheatcodes explanation
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 12:00 PM
  5. cfdisk-explanation
    By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St... picture

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...

$64.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



AC Adapter For Samsung Jet Bot VR30T80313W/AA Robot Vacuum + Charging dock picture

AC Adapter For Samsung Jet Bot VR30T80313W/AA Robot Vacuum + Charging dock

$50.00



Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home picture

Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home

$16.99



(2) Battery For FoxNoble Cordless Vacuum Cleaner GLBP01-6S26 picture

(2) Battery For FoxNoble Cordless Vacuum Cleaner GLBP01-6S26

$49.00



95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US picture

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US

$21.98



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$80.66