I have a short writeup of what UnionFS means for Knoppix here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654
I don't go into it in explicit detail, but you can read the official UnionFS project page for that level of info anyway.
Would someone be able to give me a run down of what UNIONFS is and what it does?
I understand that it's a filesystem allowing write-only and read-write branches, but how is it used with Knoppix 3.8? Will it be a way of creating space on a hard disk allowing Knoppix to read and write to the disk, while keeping the CD read-only, or am I missing the point? I'm a little confused as you can probably tell
Thanks,
Mark
I have a short writeup of what UnionFS means for Knoppix here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654
I don't go into it in explicit detail, but you can read the official UnionFS project page for that level of info anyway.
Ok, I think I get it now, just confirm if I'm right if you would:
<=3.7, you could edit /home and use the Save Configuration utitlity to save the settings and files to a disk, e.g. a USB drive or a hard disk.
With UNIONFS, Knoppix is completely read/write, meaning you can install new programs on the /ramdisk, then save/restore in the same way you could with /home on <=3.7 (I understand it's slightly mroe complex than that, but I see that as the basics)
Is that right?
Thanks,
Mark
Well in fact, you don't even have to think about the /ramdisk yourself, you just write directly to /usr/ or whatever directory you want, and UnionFS figures it all out for you. Then you run the persistent script so that the changes are saved.
I am running 3.8 from an iso image on the harddisk and swap on the harddisk however persistent homedir is not enabled.
According to mount, /UNIONFS is the union of /ramdisk and /KNOPPIX
According to df, the size of /UNIONFS is 6.1G - but /ramdisk is 391M and /KNOPPIX is 1.9G - so where is the other 4G coming from?
Also, when I wrote the large file to /ramdisk that filled it completely, there was considerable disk activity. I am wondering what on the harddisk it would be writing to.Code:knoppix@1[tmp]$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/root 3.4M 23K 3.4M 1% / /dev/hda1 28G 4.7G 22G 18% /cdrom2.loop /cdrom2.loop/knx38.iso 695M 695M 0 100% /cdrom/ /dev/cloop 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /KNOPPIX /ramdisk 391M 391M 0 100% /ramdisk /UNIONFS 6.1G 6.1G 0 100% /UNIONFS
How much swap do you have? That could explain the disk activity.
Mark

Samsung 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM – M471A2G43BB2‑CWE – PC4‑25600
$45.99
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
ZAGG Glass Elite Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Ultra/Tab S9 Ultra Screen Protector
$18.89
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00
Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$49.99
Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99
Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99
Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99
SAMSUNG ViewFinity S5 34" QHD Monitor 100Hz 5ms AMD FreeSync S34C50DGAN #BU4874
$154.59
QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black
$500.00