Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: gpart help?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    23

    gpart help?

    I am attempting to run gpart via Knoppix 3.7 and honestly have no idea what I am actually doing.

    I have gone to the RUN COMMAND line and said gpart -c /dev/hda1, but this just opens up a Terminal window that is blank and says FINISHED at the top. Doesn't seem like it is doing anything.

    I have 1 80gb hard drive that has a C and D drive on it (2 partitions I guess)....is there a gpart tutorial anywhere? Or can anyone lend some gpart knowledge? I have looked through the man gpart, but hasn't really enlightened me as of yet

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    We really need to know what you're trying to do with gpart.

    For example, since you use gpart in order to check a partition table (and re-write it),

    gpart /dev/hda

    would seem a better choice.

    http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

    has the author's description, but, essentially, you run gpart /dev/hda to check the partitions. If the check is consistent, use gpart gpart -W /dev/hda /dev/hda

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    23
    thanks for the reply....i apologize for the double post....

    I have a hard drive that seems to have been wiped out or crashed....when I boot it up, all I get is OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND. More than anything, I am just trying to recover the data that is on the hard drive, and then probably replace the hard drive. Harry Kuhman suggested that I run gpart to see if we can recover the partition table, since when I boot up Knoppix, it doesn't seem to be picking up my hard drive.

    I just tried gpart /dev/hda

    and I get:

    *** Fatal error: open(/dev/hda): Permission denied.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Try

    sudo gpart /dev/hda

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    23
    When I run that WITHOUT clicking the Terminal Window option, it does nothing. When I do check that option, I get:

    *** Fatal error: open(/dev/hda): No such device or address.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    23
    Also, if I run....

    sudo gpart /dev/hdc (which I tried since it was the C drive?), I get:

    *** Fatal error: cannot get sector size on dev(/dev/hdc).

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    Also, if I run.... sudo gpart /dev/hdc (which I tried since it was the C drive?)....
    No, it's not the C drive. It's not even the C drive under XP. it's both C and D Partitions under XP, but that's not the same as saying which drive it is (I have D F and G partitions on my second drive, for example) It's the first drive, and Linux refers to the first drive on a normal IDE interface as hda. It refers to the partitions on hda as hda1, hda2, hda5 (the first logical partition in an extended partition) and so on. So what you want to be scanning with gpart is hda. If you can't run gpart against it you might want to consider the chance that the drive just isn't working. But I would test that theory with some software other than Knoppix before I sent the hard drive to someone and told them to overcharge me to extract data from it. You might even want to run gpart on another computer to see how it normally works.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    23
    So it's not that I'm doing something wrong with what I am typing? Or do I have to set something up first? The first time, I got permission denied. I have listened when I power up and it sounds like the disks are spinning normally....

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    So it's not that I'm doing something wrong with what I am typing? Or do I have to set something up first? The first time, I got permission denied. I have listened when I power up and it sounds like the disks are spinning normally....
    I don't know what's happening for you. The very first time I actually ran gpart was just now, I opened a shell and typed:
    sudo gpart /dev/hda
    and it made a correct evaluation of a hard disk I have as the first disk on my primary IDE controler. It also was able to do the same with a hard disk that I have as the secondary on my second IDE controler with sudo gpart /dev/hdd. It is also very handy to do a sudo gpart -v /dev/hda, which will dump out what is in the current partition table. This may go a long way in helping understand what happened.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    23
    still says....

    *** Fatal error: open(/dev/hda): No such device or address.

    crapppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Attempting to save files from HD, but gpart not reading HD
    By bunkeroo26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
  2. gpart utility: Can't access USB Hard Drive
    By ktas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
  3. Trying to fixi FAT32 drive with gpart
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 10:49 AM
  4. I need help using gpart
    By Baraboo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 02:06 PM
  5. messed up partitiontable -help with gpart
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz picture

Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz

$475.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i5-13500@2.50 GHz SRMBM Socket FCLGA1700 Processor picture

Intel Core [email protected] GHz SRMBM Socket FCLGA1700 Processor

$159.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core i5-11500 SRKNY LGA1200 2.7GHz Six Core Processor 11th Gen PCIe 4.0 picture

Intel Core i5-11500 SRKNY LGA1200 2.7GHz Six Core Processor 11th Gen PCIe 4.0

$85.00