Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 3.8 Persistent Home Directory - Lexar Jump Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix 3.8 Persistent Home Directory - Lexar Jump Drive

    I am trying to create a persistent home directory on ntfs partition /dev/hda5 on my laptop. I used the image creation utility in the knoppix folder on the cd to write knoppix.img. It worked (after I did some German translation to verify), however home=scan is not picking it up on boot. I think I might be missing an important step and am scratching my head looking for doc on this subject. Do I need to create a dedicated partition to write the .img file to? How should it be formatted? Any links to a specific howto for this? I understand this is beta code and as such may not be supported. Along these same lines, if anyone has gotten persistent directory to work on a 1GB Lexar Jump Drive, I'd appreciate knowing how you did that as well. I can't get scan=home to see that either...then again I am not certain that it formatted and installed the knoppix.img correctly. I also tried the direct approach with both the jump drive and hda5 - scan=/dev/uba1 and scan=/dev/hda5.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Knoppix 3.8 CeBIT Ed. (and below) will specifically not mount a persistent home image from an NTFS partition. (Even though it technically could, Mr. Knopper & Co. have apparently made the choice not to allow it. Perhaps this will change with the "real" v3.8.) You can mount a persistent home image from a FAT32 (aka "vfat" in Linux), ext2, ext3, or ReiserFS-formatted partition.

    Can't tell you anything else about Knoppix 3.8 and persistent home images for 100% sure. In my limited experience, after making a persistent home on an ext3-formatted partition (I dual-boot), I didn't have to use the cheatcode "home=/mnt/hda2/knoppix.img" (the "knoppix-cheatcodes.txt" file now says to use "mnt" rather than "dev") or even "home=scan"; Knoppix finds it automatically.

    I have successfully created a persistent home on a thumbdrive. However, Knoppix 3.8 seems to have trouble detecting the thumbdrive.

    The biggest problem is that Knoppix 3.8 won't cleanly umount the persistent home, wherever it is, and hangs upon shutdown.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Knoppix 3.8 CeBIT Ed. (and below) will specifically not
    The biggest problem is that Knoppix 3.8 won't cleanly umount the persistent home, wherever it is, and hangs upon shutdown.
    Thanks for the reply. I created a fat32 partition (1 GB) and made half of it KNOPPIX.IMG. I loaded knoppix and it detected the image without any cheatcodes. It hung the machine on reboot or shutdown with the following error;

    Code:
    could not umount /KNOPPIX.IMG
    trying /dev/loop0 instead
    device or resource busy

    Any work arounds? If I just power the machine off at this point it trashes KNOPPIX.IMG. I couldn't umount it while KDE was up because I got a device busy error. If any developers read this forum, this is on an IBM Thinkpad T-21.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Hopefully the shutdown issue will be fixed in the official release.

    I tried going to a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1), then entering single-user mode and forcing an unmount...

    # init 1
    # umount /mnt/hda1/knoppix.img -f

    ...and that seems to work, most of the time. (The /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot script gives me errors when rebooting.)

    Also tried using the command "unionctl /UNIONFS --remove /KNOPPIX.IMG" in single-user mode, but that just caused a hang.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for trying a couple of things. This really is a great feature, hopefully it will work someday. I'll try the single-user-mode umount here as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    BTW, if you have a persistent home image from a previous version of Knoppix, you can use it with Knoppix 3.8 CeBit. You won't get the benefit of unionfs, but it will work as it did before, and it doesn't crash when you halt or reboot.

    (Meaning, a persistent home with just the contents of /home/knoppix on it.)

    (And if you don't have one from a previous version of Knoppix, you can always make your own.)

    <edit>
    The persistent home crash is fixed in Knoppix 3.8.1. Excellent.

    Despite what the Knoppix home page says -- "permanent homedirectory on harddisk (even on NTFS)" -- persistent home still doesn't work off NTFS. (Unless I'm missing something.)

    <edit 2>
    So it looks like the "MkImage-ct.exe" utility on the Knoppix CD, when used in Windows, just creates an unformatted "knoppix.img" file. So, booting Knoppix 3.8.1 (without a persistent home) into level 2, then mounting the NTFS partition (hda1) read-write (scary! but should be OK because we're not writing a new file, just changing things within an existing file), and formatting "knoppix.img" with the command

    # mke2fs -j /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX.IMG

    works, and then we can run

    # /usr/sbin/knoppix-image

    to mount it, and

    # chown knoppix:users /KNOPPIX.IMG/

    to set the permissions correctly, and then running KDE with

    # init 5

    works with "knoppix.img" as an old-style (i.e. no unionfs magic) persistent home from NTFS.

    Then, booting 3.8.1 with the command line

    knoppix: home=/mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX.IMG

    works, and we do have a persistent home on NTFS! Excellent!

Similar Threads

  1. How do I check my jump drive persistent image?
    By smoky in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
  2. Knoppix home directory not persistent ?
    By bucodi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
  3. Cannot Create persistent home directory on USB Thumb drive
    By jessjackson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 08:26 AM
  4. Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  5. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95