I'm working on a modified KNOPPIX distribution to give to CS students at my school so that they can work on assignments from their own computers in their dorms. I want to give them two options: boot KNOPPIX normally or connect to the computing lab. The idea is that if they choose to connect to the computing lab, KNOPPIX will start X with the -indirect option to our xdm servers, and they will go straight to logging on to a Linux maching in the lab.

My idea is to modify lilo.conf in KNOPPIX to offer these two choices, and have the second choice boot to an unused runlevel, which I will provide a startx script for. Does this sound reasonable? I've been able to boot to a different run level using the normal KNOPPIX boot prompt, but I can't see anyway to specify the rl in lilo.conf. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Colin Kern