Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 3.8 CeBit: Resolving issues with USB storage devices

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    griffith.nsw.australia
    Posts
    9

    3.8 CeBit: Resolving issues with USB storage devices

    I've just been doing a bit of testing with the Knoppix 3.8 CeBit 2005 edition, and I just thought I'd go over some of the problems I've had with USB storage devices.

    New naming convention for USB storage
    They are now referred to as ub[a-z] instead of the old sd[a-z] - this is basically where all the problems stem from.
    I can't quite work out why it's been changed. Initially I had no experience with any distros using the 2.6 kernel, and figured the change was related to that. Except that I've now used the kubuntu hoary preview with the 2.6.10 kernel, and it still refers to the devices as sd[a-z]. I don't know the reasons behind the change, but it's certainly a more intuitive name than before (starts with a 'u' for usb), and it no longer has to share with sata disks.

    Some specific issues as a result
    There are a few scripts that are supposed to search for storage devices, generally matching entries in /etc/fstab. Unfortunately, these scripts don't seem to have been updated to include the new naming convention.

    Example: /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
    The "findfile" function which is called when you use the cheatcode myconfig=scan searches for existing knoppix configs on storage devices
    Code:
    findfile(){
    ...
      for i in /mnt/[sh]d[a-z] /mnt/[sh]d[a-z][1-9] /mnt/[sh]d[a-z][1-9]?*; do
    ...
    }
    If I have a knoppix config file stored on my usb stick /dev/ub[a-z][1-9] then the code above will not find it.

    It's a simple fix:
    Code:
     /mnt/[shu][db][a-z]
    But I'm not sure how many different scripts reference the storage devices in this way.

    Another I've found is /usr/sbin/saveconfig (run from K Menu -> KNOPPIX ->Configure -> Save Knoppix configuration)
    Code:
    # Directory selector
    for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hs]d[a-z].*\/mnt\/[hs]d[a-z]/...
    Wouldn't it be easier to use the old naming convention?
    Not knowing the reasons behind the change, I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to me

    Does anyone have any thoughts/comments/insights?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    this is probably why i cant use the saveconfig script. i used to save my configuration on my usb stick now that does not work anymore. saveconfig only asks me to put it on a floppy disk, my usb stick does not appear in the list anymore as it did in knoppix 3.7. unfortunatly this makes knoppix 3.8 completly useless to me.

    is there anyway to fix that issue? unfotunatly i dont know anything about linux

    bye

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    griffith.nsw.australia
    Posts
    9
    You'll need to remaster the iso I guess.
    Have a look at this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=remaster

    It's not difficult to do, but it is a bit difficult to understand what you're actually doing. If you just go through the guide, and get it working then you can get a grip on what's happening, then be a bit more adventurous (and change the scripts I mentioned above so they work )

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    hm very complicated. since it is only one script, cant i fix it and save it on my usb stick? i dont have enough knowledge and time to do it the other way.

    thx for your help!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    griffith.nsw.australia
    Posts
    9
    The quickest and dirtiest solution is to:
    1. As root, edit the /usr/sbin/saveconfig script while booted to the livecd
    2. Make the following changes (additions are underlined and bold)

    # Directory selector
    for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hsu][db][a-z].*\/mnt\/[hsu][db][a-z]/...

    3. Save the file and go through your save config process like normal (your usb device should now be available to select)

    4. When you reboot, you will have to explicitly state the location of the backed up config
    ie instead of using the cheatcode myconfig=scan, use myconfig=/dev/uba1 (or wherever your config is stored)

    That'll work

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    yeah thats more like my solution. dont care if its dirty! how can i log on as root?

    thx

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    griffith.nsw.australia
    Posts
    9
    Open up a konsole terminal, and type
    sudo vi /usr/sbin/saveconfig

    The sudo command tells it to run the following program with Super User (ie root) privileges.
    vi is a command line text editor that can be a bit difficult to get started with, but is worth learning the basics for.
    /usr/sbin/saveconfig is of course, the file you want to edit.

    Very quick and dirty vi tutorial:
    Type i to change to 'INSERT' mode (ie a mode where you can edit the text like a normal text editor)
    Make your changes
    Type Esc (ie the esc key) to exit INSERT mode
    Type :wq to Write the changes to disk (ie save them), and Quit

    If you get stuck and confused and your file looks totally buggered, then
    Hit the Esc key a few times
    Type :q! to force quit without writing any changes, and go through the steps above again

    For a less quick and dirty vi tutorial, try http://acs.ucsd.edu/info/vi_tutorial.php

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    i think it worked! thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!

    bye

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20

    Usb Naming convention changed in 3.8 Cebit

    I also have a usb stick on which I store my config file. For some reason when running off the HD using the FromHD cheatcode, my printer config won't save to my Persistent Home Directory, and so I have to use the Save config option to save and restore the Printer config. I'm not using 3.8 Cebit because my Save Config screen won't show either SDA1 or UBA1. Also, 3.8Cebit came out just as KDE was releasing the KDE 3.4 desktop, and I'll wait for that before I upgrade. I already have Firfox set up in my Persistent Home directory to relace the old Mozilla Browser on 3.7,and I've also added Kaffeine as my CD player, so I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.3 DVD zur Cebit
    By Eppo in forum German Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
  2. USB storage devices
    By srowe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:05 AM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:39 AM
  4. Problem resolving package conflicts
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 04:54 AM
  5. boot.img in 3.4 cebit
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99