Hi everybody,
I hope this is the right section ... had a very well working Debian-like HD-install of Knoppix 3.7 dual-boot with XP ...
then I tried - booting from CD - to install it to an external USB-Harddisk, too, with following results:
not only the external HD doesn't boot, but my previously installed Knoppix (on /dev/hda, the main, internal harddisk) also refuses to boot ...
actually it does come up allright, but at some point it starts to complain about "can't write to read-only filesystem" and just stops ...
Has anybody come across a similar situation or any idea, what's going on and if there is any remedy?
Re-Installation is always possible, of course, but one of the main reasons I'm using Linux is that I'm trying to understand a little what's happening here, so I'd first like to find out if there is another possibility ... Googling was not much help upto now, maybe I didn't find the right words ...
What I'm surprised about is that somehow booting from the Knoppix-CD apparently *did* affect something on my harddrive in this special situation, which I thought wasn't possible; I also especially had _not_ mounted the HD-installed partitions at that time.
Yes - I did one thing - I allowed the CD-Knoppix, and the to-be-intalled USB-HD-Knoppix to use the already installed swap partition on /dev/hda - could that have been the culprit? Can't imagine why ...

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99