Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Read-only file system HDD after boot from CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1

    Read-only file system HDD after boot from CD

    I am sorry to post a simple question.
    I have failed to find the answer in the FAQs or this Forum.

    I boot from a Knoppix Linux 3.2 CD
    My FAT32 HDD is not writable.
    I set it read-write by way of the desktop icon for it and properties.
    I run sh
    I cd to a directory which is writable in Windows.
    I try the simple command
    echo > hello
    The response is
    Read-only file system

    I am really new to administering a system.
    I infer that a script is run while booting.
    I assume it is possible to jump to a script on the hdd if I want to alter it.
    What should I read?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Open a console window and sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? to mount the windows drive with root permission.
    [edit]
    Replace the ?? with the number of the partition and the drive you want to write to.
    [/edit]

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    that doesnt work!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Exactly what doesn't work? What do you type and do, what messages do you get back?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Titletown (Green Bay, WI)
    Posts
    7
    Try the tips from the following topic:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1279

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    i tried those tips and i can write to the hda1. but i cant edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig cos its read-only.
    any suggestions?

Similar Threads

  1. Read only file system- installing linuxant drivers...
    By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
  2. read-only file system problem
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
  3. unable to make install - read-only file system
    By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
  4. lilo Fatal:create Read-only file system dual boot
    By willowwillow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 01:34 PM
  5. Intalling package: Read-only file system???
    By CelticSoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V LD2 DDR4 ECC Server RAM Memory M386A8K40BM2-CTD7Y picture

Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V LD2 DDR4 ECC Server RAM Memory M386A8K40BM2-CTD7Y

$299.00



LOT OF 16 Mixed Brand  16GB DDR4 PC4 Laptop RAM 2666-3200 SODIMM Memory picture

LOT OF 16 Mixed Brand 16GB DDR4 PC4 Laptop RAM 2666-3200 SODIMM Memory

$1149.99



SK hynix (4X 16GB) PC4-25600 (DDR4-2400) Memory (HMA82GR7AFR8N-XN) Tested picture

SK hynix (4X 16GB) PC4-25600 (DDR4-2400) Memory (HMA82GR7AFR8N-XN) Tested

$400.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99