Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Read-only file system HDD after boot from CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1

    Read-only file system HDD after boot from CD

    I am sorry to post a simple question.
    I have failed to find the answer in the FAQs or this Forum.

    I boot from a Knoppix Linux 3.2 CD
    My FAT32 HDD is not writable.
    I set it read-write by way of the desktop icon for it and properties.
    I run sh
    I cd to a directory which is writable in Windows.
    I try the simple command
    echo > hello
    The response is
    Read-only file system

    I am really new to administering a system.
    I infer that a script is run while booting.
    I assume it is possible to jump to a script on the hdd if I want to alter it.
    What should I read?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Open a console window and sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? to mount the windows drive with root permission.
    [edit]
    Replace the ?? with the number of the partition and the drive you want to write to.
    [/edit]

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    that doesnt work!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Exactly what doesn't work? What do you type and do, what messages do you get back?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Titletown (Green Bay, WI)
    Posts
    7
    Try the tips from the following topic:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1279

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    i tried those tips and i can write to the hda1. but i cant edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig cos its read-only.
    any suggestions?

Similar Threads

  1. Read only file system- installing linuxant drivers...
    By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
  2. read-only file system problem
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
  3. unable to make install - read-only file system
    By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
  4. lilo Fatal:create Read-only file system dual boot
    By willowwillow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 01:34 PM
  5. Intalling package: Read-only file system???
    By CelticSoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50