Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Login Issues

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Login Issues

    Ok, so I've got Kanotix Bug Hunter X Fix 2 installed Debian-style, and yesterday I felt like installing Blender. So I logged in as root, installed Blender, and then logged back out. When I tried to log in as user, the screen went black for a second, and then just went back to the login screen. I tried the console login, but then it gave me the whole "couldn't connect to x-server" bullshit, so I couldn't start KDE or run any programs. A friend told me to restart the login manager....But I don't know which one it is.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    Re: Login Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Ok, so I've got Kanotix Bug Hunter X Fix 2 installed Debian-style, and yesterday I felt like installing Blender. So I logged in as root, installed Blender, and then logged back out. When I tried to log in as user, the screen went black for a second, and then just went back to the login screen. I tried the console login, but then it gave me the whole "couldn't connect to x-server" bullshit, so I couldn't start KDE or run any programs. A friend told me to restart the login manager....But I don't know which one it is.
    "couldn't connect to x-server" is the systems way of saying your x-server is toast.
    Well, it could be alot of things but what does the command "startx" produce?

    Something may have happened during the blender install that caused problems with
    the xfree config or permissions. How exactly did you install blender-by using apt-get
    or some other way?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    What they probably meant was simply to go to a console window (Ctrl+Alt+F1), type "init 3" (which will shut down X and KDM), then type "init 5" (which will restart X and KDM).

    KDM is Kanotix's default login manager.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by eon
    How exactly did you install blender-by using apt-get
    or some other way?
    I downloaded the .tar.gz file from the Blender site (my winmodem doesn't have any known Linux support, so I have to dl in Windows), and used Alien in Linux to convert it to a debian package. Then I used dpkg -i to install the package.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    What they probably meant was simply to go to a console window (Ctrl+Alt+F1), type "init 3" (which will shut down X and KDM), then type "init 5" (which will restart X and KDM).

    KDM is Kanotix's default login manager.
    Huh? The orginal poster stated he couldn't get x started.
    If he types "startx" at the console he will get back some output
    from the system as to why the x-server is failing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    "Huh?" yourself.

    Kowood, does

    When I tried to log in as user, the screen went black for a second, and then just went back to the login screen.
    mean that you go back to the graphical login manager, or can you only get to a console? I understood "login screen" to mean the graphical login manager. If that is not the case, I apologize, I misunderstood you.

    If there is a way you can uninstall the package you installed, there is a blender package available for Debian Sid (currently v2.36), and you can download the deb file here.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Yeah, it's graphical. I uninstalled the package, and did some other stuff. I just made a different thread on it, because I thought this one was dead. :P

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Ok, the reason X is failing is because (under user, root works fine) it couldn't write to /tmp. I went through /tmp and made every single file readable and writable to all users, but it still didn't work, and gave me the same message.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    as root:
    chmod 1777 /tmp

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    chmod 1777 /tmp didn't help. could it be kdm? i'm going to try gnome. i would do a KDE upgrade, but i can't install my modem drivers without WINE, which can't be configured in root.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HDD issues
    By matt houston in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 04:19 PM
  2. Can't login at XServer Login Window
    By torbu in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
  3. Fax Issues...
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 03:40 PM
  4. Can't login to Debian login screen
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. apt issues
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched picture

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched

$149.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



57pc UNUSED RAM Memory Lot DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 G.SKILL HyperX ADATA Kingston Micron picture

57pc UNUSED RAM Memory Lot DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 G.SKILL HyperX ADATA Kingston Micron

$575.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$155.19



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade picture

16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade

$121.99



16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM picture

16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM

$75.99