Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Install on the 1st computer, put the harddrive in the 2nd

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58

    Install on the 1st computer, put the harddrive in the 2nd

    I have to install knoppix in an old computer, but i can't boot up, because it can not finx the KNOPPIX-filesystem. So I connected the harddrive to another one and installed knoppix there (1024 MB swap). The problem: if I put the harddrive back to the old computer knoppix runs with configurations for the computer I installed it on. That's why it runs very slow and hangs up when I try to start any desktop envirement. Help!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    If you do your HD installation "Knoppix-style", I think it should work OK since a Knoppix style HD install searches & reconfigures for hardware with each boot just like from the CD.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have done thins with plain Debian, works OK, you might have to reconfigure networking, modules to load... nothing that is verry hard.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    If you do your HD installation "Knoppix-style", I think it should work OK since a Knoppix style HD install searches & reconfigures for hardware with each boot just like from the CD.
    I need a beginner-like install

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by your_breakfast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    If you do your HD installation "Knoppix-style", I think it should work OK since a Knoppix style HD install searches & reconfigures for hardware with each boot just like from the CD.
    I need a beginner-like install
    Exactly what features of the beginner type install do you need?
    I think a beginner-type install is very similar to a Knoppix type install except that it is set up as a multi user install and does not do a full hardware config with each boot. A knoppix type install does do a full hardware config with each boot. It starts out as a single user system (with no passwords) but you can add other passwords and other users to it. I don't think there are any other significant differences.
    The hardware detection & configuration is done using the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, setting up your video card etc is done using the script /usr/sbin/mkxf86config. You might be able to get your setup to work by first deleting (or renaming) /etc/X11/xf86config-4 then running this script. You have to get rid of the old xf86config-4 first, mkxf86config will only make a new config file if there is none existing.
    You may be able to give your system full hardware detection by copying /etc/rcS.d from the Knoppix CD to the hd installation, this should give your hd installation the same startup sequence as the CD uses.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by your_breakfast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    If you do your HD installation "Knoppix-style", I think it should work OK since a Knoppix style HD install searches & reconfigures for hardware with each boot just like from the CD.
    I need a beginner-like install
    Exactly what features of the beginner type install do you need?
    I think a beginner-type install is very similar to a Knoppix type install except that it is set up as a multi user install and does not do a full hardware config with each boot. A knoppix type install does do a full hardware config with each boot. It starts out as a single user system (with no passwords) but you can add other passwords and other users to it. I don't think there are any other significant differences.
    The hardware detection & configuration is done using the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, setting up your video card etc is done using the script /usr/sbin/mkxf86config. You might be able to get your setup to work by first deleting (or renaming) /etc/X11/xf86config-4 then running this script. You have to get rid of the old xf86config-4 first, mkxf86config will only make a new config file if there is none existing.
    You may be able to give your system full hardware detection by copying /etc/rcS.d from the Knoppix CD to the hd installation, this should give your hd installation the same startup sequence as the CD uses.
    I need multiuser platform AND full hardware detection only 1 time. So I have to:
    1. remove xf86config-4
    2. rename /etc/rcS.d to /etc/rcS.d.old
    3. copy /etc/rcS.d from the knoppix-fs to /etc/rcS.d on the harddrive
    4. reboot
    5. remove /etc/rcS.d
    6. rename /etc/rcS.d.old back to /etc/rcS.d
    Do I miss something?

Similar Threads

  1. HOW DO I ACCESS MY NORMAL COMPUTER HARDDRIVE AND IT'S FILES?
    By FrogKid28 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
  2. Install on second harddrive
    By manatarms1775 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 06:00 AM
  3. how do i install knoppix from the cd to a NTFS harddrive
    By michaelmay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 10:22 PM
  4. harddrive install ? and software ?
    By TheCrazzyman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
  5. Harddrive install to CDROM OS
    By walterw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2003, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00