Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HDD Install to USB2 disk and using on multiple computers?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8

    HDD Install to USB2 disk and using on multiple computers?

    Is it possible to do a full HDD install (knoppix-installer) to a external USB hard drive and use it to boot from multiple machines?

    Today I have a PMI on the disk which boots with GRUB without any problems on all machines I've tried so far. What I would like is to have a full install so I could for example edit something in the /etc/ folder and still use it on multiple machines.

    Is this possible?

    /w

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    35
    I think that UNIONFS will make what you want to do possible anyway, once 3.8.1 is released, by using a USB pendrive (or I suppose a USB hard drive) to save changes you make. That way, you don't need to do a full install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.johnson
    I think that UNIONFS will make what you want to do possible anyway, once 3.8.1 is released, by using a USB pendrive (or I suppose a USB hard drive) to save changes you make. That way, you don't need to do a full install.
    thanks, then I'll wait for that release.

Similar Threads

  1. 1 Linux for 3 diferent computers on a disk bracket help me??
    By Stevendefeij in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
  2. Using apt- get to install multiple packages at once?
    By d3viant in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 09:15 PM
  3. Help with multiple install
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
  4. hdd install using multiple partitions
    By wfharvey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 05:58 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08