-
Senior Member
registered user
arkaine23;
Mitey fine to hear from you on this subject. I have googled a bit or two about the graphical mode remaster but haven't attempted but just the method described by Sunnijl which employs KDE procedures but chroots to /mnt/hda3/KNOPPIX (the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file).
I was successful in re-mastering KNOPPIX v3.8 Cebit to 748MB size and used a "SPLIT" .iso procedure to generate a DVD burn. Modified the isolinux.cfg to permit automatic boot-up to persistent home config.
The "SPLIT" .iso method employs a "prefix.iso" which is concatenated with a "suffix.iso". The prefix.iso is essentially everything but the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX derived from the KNOPPIX v3.8 .iso. The suffix.iso is generated by the re-master procedure operated on the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file. Mkisofs is applied to generate the compressed fs and again mkisofs is applied to generate a full .iso after inserting the modified KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file into a copy of the CDROM (KNOPPIX V 3.
. The resultant .iso is loop-mounted and the prefix.iso and suffix.iso are concatenated to produce the final re-mastered .iso.
I am not certain whether your method will permit the "SPLIT" mode to be employed.
The full purpose of doing all this is to test the proposition that the "SPLIT" procedure will permit the loading of a DVD disc to full capacity rather than be limited to 2GB as is the case with isolinux.iso generators.
To test the proposition I would be satisfied if I could randomly load large-sized applications totaling 3.6GB. This would make the total 4.4GB.
It seems my attempts to load random apps from the KPACKAGE listings produced no loadable apps in apt-get install. I selected apps which had no conflicts and most were 20MB or more.
I probably need more smarts about debian access than I have at present.
I expect it will take around 300 apps to get to 3.5GB if the data listed for the apps is compressed file size. If it is not, then I will need 6-8GB of apps!!!
As you can plainly see, I am not a Debian user except to try this "SPLIT" thing and probably try it on other LiveCD's as well.
I hope this description makes sense to you. The listing of /etc/apt/sources was made from my "SPLIT" .iso of KNOPPIX V 3.8 DVD (748mb).
The DVD illustrates that the "SPLIT" works but is no guarantee it will carry out to 4.4GB since it can go to 2GB under normal conditions.
It seems that loading 3.0+ apps in Debian can be a resl pain!!
Speak softly..use braille.
Asking may get you knowwhere...
You can have the last word with your wife...just say WHAT?
Similar Threads
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
-
By patelbhavesh in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2005, 01:37 AM
-
By Terminator15 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-02-2005, 02:34 AM
-
By Dryfter in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
-
By Flying2Eagles in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Inside Macintosh Promotional Edition Vintage Apple Developer Book 1985
$32.00

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed
$125.00

Vintage Apple Pro Mouse M5769 Wired Optical USB White/Clear
$24.99

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00