Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HDD install changes active partition??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19

    HDD install changes active partition??

    Hello, I am using knoppix on a secondary partition, but when I use it, I have to set the active partition to the proper partition before I can boot. What is going on? Is there a fix? Any help would be appreciated, as some people don't appreciate DOS much...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    DOS?

    More information about your system would help. How did you install Knoppix? Do you use a bootloader like LILO or GrUB or the one that comes with XP? What partitions are on your hard drive, and what's installed on them?

    -- Ed

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Code:
    clarjonl ...
    
    Hi,
    
    Yes more info please. Could you just go to your bios, key "F1" or "del" during the initial boot. And change the sequence to look for a cdrom boot first. Or use Smart Boot Manager copied to a floppy if that dosen't work, and boot the cd via the floppy.
    
    And post the output of ...
    
    ]# cfdisk -Pt /dev/hda
    
    Please put "code tages arount the output so it's more readable too ...
    
    If you hover your curser above the "code" button ontop of the submit edit box, it will describe it self.
    
    >>
    Hello, I am using knoppix on a secondary partition,
    >>
    
    I'll guess ... An extended-logical ???
    
    >>
     but when I use it, I have to set the active partition to the proper partition before I can boot.
    >>
    
    I'll guess ... Your first primary, probably windows. That makes no sense ???
    
    >>
     What is going on? Is there a fix?
    >>
    
    If you can post the above, people will be able to tell whats where by the filesystem id numbers. So yep, there probably is a fix.
    
     
    jm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 07:35 PM
  2. Do I need all the default apt mirrors to be active?
    By Pumpino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:07 AM
  3. SAMBA-Client & W2k-Active-Directory
    By ZMK in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 03:57 AM
  4. "Not found any [active partition] in HDD"
    By spectralshadows in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 05:20 PM
  5. Wine can't find Active X - Help
    By knut in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R) picture

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)

$60.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST picture

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST

$159.99