If you do your HD installation "Knoppix-style", I think it should work OK since a Knoppix style HD install searches & reconfigures for hardware with each boot just like from the CD.
I have to install knoppix in an old computer, but i can't boot up, because it can not finx the KNOPPIX-filesystem. So I connected the harddrive to another one and installed knoppix there (1024 MB swap). The problem: if I put the harddrive back to the old computer knoppix runs with configurations for the computer I installed it on. That's why it runs very slow and hangs up when I try to start any desktop envirement. Help!!
If you do your HD installation "Knoppix-style", I think it should work OK since a Knoppix style HD install searches & reconfigures for hardware with each boot just like from the CD.
i have done thins with plain Debian, works OK, you might have to reconfigure networking, modules to load... nothing that is verry hard.
I need a beginner-like installOriginally Posted by CrashedAgain
Exactly what features of the beginner type install do you need?Originally Posted by your_breakfast
I think a beginner-type install is very similar to a Knoppix type install except that it is set up as a multi user install and does not do a full hardware config with each boot. A knoppix type install does do a full hardware config with each boot. It starts out as a single user system (with no passwords) but you can add other passwords and other users to it. I don't think there are any other significant differences.
The hardware detection & configuration is done using the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, setting up your video card etc is done using the script /usr/sbin/mkxf86config. You might be able to get your setup to work by first deleting (or renaming) /etc/X11/xf86config-4 then running this script. You have to get rid of the old xf86config-4 first, mkxf86config will only make a new config file if there is none existing.
You may be able to give your system full hardware detection by copying /etc/rcS.d from the Knoppix CD to the hd installation, this should give your hd installation the same startup sequence as the CD uses.
I need multiuser platform AND full hardware detection only 1 time. So I have to:Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
1. remove xf86config-4
2. rename /etc/rcS.d to /etc/rcS.d.old
3. copy /etc/rcS.d from the knoppix-fs to /etc/rcS.d on the harddrive
4. reboot
5. remove /etc/rcS.d
6. rename /etc/rcS.d.old back to /etc/rcS.d
Do I miss something?

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details
$95.00
Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00
Apple Macintosh SE Analog Board 820-0206-A 630-0147 - Working (260201 2)
$29.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested
$25.46
Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box
$90.98
Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21