-
Let's see if I have this right?
Well, that's odd. Confused Here's what I'd check when you boot to HD:
1 - the installed kernel is the same as the CD kernel that you boot (2.4.27 or 2.6.9);
2 - you're not using the boot parameter (cheatcode) nodhcp;
3 - during boot, Knoppix gives the message Network device eth0 detected;
4 - $ dmesg | grep eth0;
5 - $ cat /proc/net/dev;
6 - $ cat /etc/sysconfig/(kernel-version)/netcard.
Good suggestions. I will check these out.
What an interesting thing to say. My first thought on reading it was "Well, that's typical, what else is new?". Just look through the old posts in both this and the networking forum. Many, many complaints are about networking that worked fine from CD failing after a hard drive install.
Harry, I did look a little and did not find the right thread. I'll go back and do some more diligent homework and see
what is there.
I feel like I'm being set up to deliver the punch line. To my way of thinking, the underlying problem is trying to install a system that was intended to live on a live CD to hard disk.
I certainly don't claim to know what the problem is in this case (or, honestly, care). But I have frequently seen threads where the problem turned out to be simple permissions not set properly on some file. Why the scripts that "install" Knoppix exist at all if people who create them don't bother to get file permissions set right I don't understand. The uber-geeks seem to dismiss this as an issue not even worth their notice, many of the responses just point out that a permssion needs to be changed. But given that Linux permissions are cryptic to a new user and Knoppix is aimed (at least in part) at new users and the install scripts are certainly for the "benefit" of new users who can not or will not do a full Debian install, it makes no sense to me that this never seems to get fixed. The only answer I have been able to come up with is that it's God's way of punishing people who insist on installing a Live CD to a hard disk because they think it's going to be easy.
It seems to me that you point out what you perceive as 2 problems.
1. Moving a CDROM based OS to HDD when it was not intended for this.
2. The authors write a script that is not bullet proof.
I don't agree that 1 is a true problem. Knoppix can and should work in both cases. Different
users have different requirements. I'm sure life would be easier to just provide a CDROM version,
but in my own case a CDROM solution is not acceptable. I really need a root file system that is
R/W so I can customize the environment as I need. Truefully, I would be more than happy to
stick with Red Hat Fedora or Mandrake, but their hardware detection is inferior to Knoppix.
Right now, Knoppix is the only Linux based system that runs on my PC.
Yet, I can see why many people would be happy with a CDROM based O/S.
Should the developers of Knoppix favor a CDROM or HDD based system. I really don't think
so.
Which brings us to the 2nd problem. Yes, the developers should make their software
bulletproof. I have done s/w development in the past and I understand the trade off
between getting the release out ASAP versus making it bulltetproof. Until the software
is made bulletproof the authors must give disclosure statements and warn the user.
This is the case with 'sudo'. It does give a warning when you run it. Buyer beware!
I may have gotten burned here, but I'm a friendly user and I'm willing to work toward
finding a suitable solution. I'm just happy that the author has provided as much as
is available at this time because I think it will get me where I want to be faster than
if I did not have the 'sudo' program. I do hope the author continues to work on the known
problems so it does eventually become a quality program.
[/quote]
Harry, I agree with you all the way down the line. The single biggest improvement that Klaus Knopper could make to Knoppix is to remove knoppix-installer.
Mr. Ed (I always loved Mr. Ed

)
I don't totally agree with you and Harry. If Linux is to become more popular than Windows, then
it must be bulletproof for the newbie. It needs to be a shrink wrapped product that installs
flawlessly. On the other hand, I'd hate to see Linux products be so standardized that the
flexibility is lost so that techies can't customize and experiment. Personally, I think Linux
has evolved reasonablly well, i.e. installation is much easier than it has been in the past,
yet there is still quite a bit of flexibility.
Jim
Similar Threads
-
By brigi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-26-2006, 05:02 AM
-
By Jolle in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-21-2005, 06:53 PM
-
By gonzo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
-
By paoloskater in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 03:26 PM
-
By knoppix-accessibility in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details
$95.00

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00

Apple Macintosh SE Analog Board 820-0206-A 630-0147 - Working (260201 2)
$29.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested
$25.46

Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box
$90.98

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21