Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: How can I change KDE Menu and Icons after remastering?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16
    Is there nobody who knows how to get this to work?

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3

    I have done this

    Hello from Canada Gunsmoke!

    I have been working on this stuff lately too, and figured it out. Unfortunately my instructions are still pretty rough (I will post them all in this forum when done). I hope this helps:

    ---------------------------
    The menu’s in KDE and possibly other window managers are generated dynamically by the ‘menu’ script. You cannot use normal methods of remastering to change the menu’s, and most move to a different method. I got around this by doing 2 things:

    a) Commenting out lines 125-150 (rsync block) in /remaster/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession

    b) Create your remastered CD, and boot from it on a different PC then you remaster from. It will have the default menu's the first time. Don't worry. Use KDE menu editor to customize them, as you would like them to be. Also, use the KDE Control Center for any other changes you want (wallpaper, etc). When you are done, put a USB key in the drive. The system will automount it, showing you the name of the partition(s) on it. These will likely be /dev/sda1, or something similar.

    c) Use the Knoppix "Save Configuration"(KMenu --> KNOPPIX --> Configure --> Save Knoppix Confguration OR run 'saveconfig') script to save your configuration to the USB key. I save 'Personal Configuration', 'All Files on Desktop', and other to my USB partition. This will create 2 files: configs.tbz and knoppix.sh.

    d) Get these files back to your 'remaster' box, and copy them to "/remaster/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/KNOPPIX/" directory. Now, rebuild and remaster your CD again. From here they should be run on EACH boot, and will take affect.

    ----------------------------------------------------

    Sorry for any grammer mistakes. Like I said, this is kind of a work in progress.

    Mike.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3

    Obviously can't count

    Oops..

    In the above post, I was editing on the fly....so where I said "2 steps", it should read "4 steps".

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31
    GunSmoke,
    Which version of knoppix are you using?
    Sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. I didn't mean deleting the line 26, I meant deleting 26 lines counting from the 200th.
    Anyway, if you are using knoppix version 3.7 or 3.81 you should maybe give a try on the script I mentioned, which remasters your hd installed knoppix.
    Cheers.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16
    thanks for your help, guys.
    I am hearted. and deep impressed.

    I am working on remastering locaization knoppix for korean from ver 3.7 till 3.9. and I try out UnderScore's way from ver 3.8. maybe it is the best way in my job, I think.


    ps. Actually I am marvelous that you guys understand what I mean. I am really poor at English!!

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20

    any 1 figure this out yet w/o using saveconfig

    any 1 figure this out yet w/o using saveconfig??

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20

    comment out 26 lines

    meaning commenting out #s 200-226 correct?

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20

    can you make iso

    sorry about the post frequency after you emove the 36 lines is that just for hddinstall or does it work for remaster live cd and running off cd also if i use the other method with saveconfig and use the backup settings method will i be limiting myself on alternate computers ie does it save xserver settings like which videocard drivers i use or is all stored in xf86config?

  9. #19
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    89
    Another way to do this is to copy the knoppix source to HD, then chroot from your normal linux installation. Go to the directory /usr/share/applnk, and add directories there. They will become first level entries in the KDE menu. In them, place the applinks you like, and each one will appear as an entry under the main menu item. To see the format for an applink, open an existing one with a text editor. HTH, M.

  10. #20
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22
    hi all,
    I tried to remove the kmenu items, but certain items still remain in the kmenu like bookmarks, quick browser, run command, switch user, how can i remove these items???,Also the separator with heading "actions ""all applications" r"eceently used application" are also there, plz help me to remove these
    another question is how to remove the icons from the task bar????
    then the desktop icons shwoing the trash, cdrom floppy and hdd icons

    plz help

    (i am trying to cusstomize knoppix 3.9)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering Knoppix 5.11 cannot modify or change KDE menu
    By hal8000 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 12:16 AM
  2. Icons position after remastering [SOLVED]
    By Dredman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 10:23 PM
  3. How can I change Kde menu button?
    By maxmartin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 03:25 AM
  4. Start menu icons are gone after upgrade
    By andig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM
  5. installing program. icons appearing in kde menu
    By ykhov in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015 picture

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015

$26.98



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99



Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air picture

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air

$419.59