I get the error "can't open file for writing" when I try to change a file on a remaster of Knoppix 3.4 under the root user. Is there a way to prevent this error from occuring? It happens when I try to edit a file with vi editor. I understand the fact that this error occurs because i'm attempting to modify a file that has read-only permissions. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to knoppix to avoid this error after I make a remaster?
Thanks in Advance.
I just noticed that I can edit the file if it is located in the /home/knoppix directory. Is there a way set the permissions on the usr/local/etc/ to be similar to /home directory?

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$610.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$1111.00
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00