Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Screen Resolution Won't Change

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2

    Screen Resolution Won't Change

    I'm trying to change the screen resolution to 1024x768 by using the:

    knoppix screen=1024x768 command at start up but it keeps booting up with the default 640x480. I've even tried 800x600 and it ignores this too. I've also tried on various PCs and same thing happens.

    Suggestions on how to fix?

    BTW, I've searched the forum and read the FAQs and have tried the various incantations.

    Thanks,
    Dale

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Hi Dale-

    Have you tried booting with the 'expert' cheat code? When you boot expert you are allowed the opportunity to set certain parameters, resolution & scan rates included.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What kind of video card, desktop or laptop, etc.

    maybe try:

    knoppix xmodule=vesa screen=1024x768

    HTH

    rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    RE: Screen res

    I've got the exact opposite problem...

    I tried bumping down the resolution from the default 1600x1200 to something more readable (like 1280x1024 or 1024x768 ... which are supported by the video card on Linux).

    Everytime I try it just bounces back to 1600x1200.

    Normally I wouldn't mind, but I've been doing some video editing and it is simply too large a display for the 8MB AGP card to be able to edit video in real time...it's pretty fast, but not that fast.

    I've used knoppix screen=1280x1024 and knoppix screen=1024x768 to no avail.

    Mach64 (ATI Rage Pro)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2
    I don't know what the "cheat codes" are. Where can I find them? The PC is a Dell Optiplex with an integrated video card (I know, I know... ).

    Thanks,
    Dale

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    ve a similar problem with a Dell Optiplex GX270 (PIV, 770MB ram, 40GB hdd,etc). I've tried knoppix nosmp to get rid of the "only one processor found" error.

    However, I get invalid mode number passed right after the boot screen and the sound card is not recognized at all. The video xmodule is recognized as i810. In any case, I get no sound and only 640x480.

    Has anyone fixed anything like this before? I'd really appreciate some help on this! I've tried all kinds of cheats and nothing but nosmb did anything for me!

    I tried "knoppix nosmp alsa" and it tried to configure alsa and I get no error message when playing *.oggs with XMMS anymore, but I don't hear anything....

    TIA,

Similar Threads

  1. How do you change the screen resolution?
    By god in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 04:33 AM
  2. cannot change screen resolution
    By boge in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 11:33 PM
  3. change screen resolution
    By brainstorm in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 06:49 AM
  4. How to change screen resolution
    By mheight in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:54 PM
  5. how do I change screen resolution?
    By ndori in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75