-
Backing up Windows using Knoppix
I've read there are several backup solutions available in Linux, but I haven't tried any of them; I'm new to this level of computer use, plus I'm a slow learner. From what I've read so far it could be pretty easy for someone who does know his way around Linux to remaster Knoppix into a general-purpose solution for backing up Windows or any other partition/filesystem which Knoppix can access. You'd boot the Knoppix (or some catchy new name) CD, start the backup program it contains and choose from a menu of which partition(s) or file(s) to backup and on what media, etc. The result would be much like the bootable DVD that NTI's Drive Backup 3 creates, only it would restore much faster because the restore program on the bootable DVD would be (a minimal version of) Linux instead of creaky old DOS.
(Edit) Upon further reflection I see that, in a computer with only a DVD burner from which the remastered Knoppix CD would have to run, it would be necessary to remove the Knoppix CD in order to burn a backup DVD of the system partition. So the question becomes: once the program on the Knoppix CD which will do the backup is configured, how big a program has to remain in RAM while burning the DVD?
I don't see why the burning program couldn't appropriate most of the RAM, since the burning process can be pretty much DMA between the hard drive and the DVD burner. Am I wrong?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
DD it
I use the "DD" command to clone both my Windows XP partitions and my Knoppix HD install partition.
This is a powerful command that you should study the docs on first. But it is very simple to use:
You need to be in root mode of course.
For example: To clone your partition (hda1) to your back up drive (hda2)
Umount the drives with umount
Then:
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hda2
Hit return and let 'er rip. Note that its /dev NOT /mnt
This a forensic strength command, copying everything on the partitions, not just the files.
sakiZ
-
Re: DD it
Thanks for your reply, sakiZ. I have to admit I haven't read the manual page for "DD" yet, but here are some questions I'll be looking to answer:
1) Can a DD "clone" of the Windows "C" partition include the boot sector? I've borked several boot sectors, tinkering around with my computer, but restoring them was painless (if slow) because the bootable DVD of my Windows partition created by NTI's Drive Backup 3 apparently restored everything starting from the first bit on the hard drive. I hope to come up with a custom Knoppix CD which can create a bootable DVD backup of whichever partition is desired. Said DVD, when booted, would overwrite the partition bit for bit. If it's the first partition then the DVD would restore the boot sector of the hard drive.
2) Have you restored your Windows (or Linux for that matter) partition from a backup clone created with DD? How much trouble was it to do?
3) Will it be possible to use the "DD" command to write to any DVD that Knoppix recognizes?
-
Senior Member
registered user
i have used dd to make images of whole installs, so, YES everything comes along just fine
-
backing up with a live-cd
Forget to Backup to DVD, they are way too small and you need free space for this or you have to write new software.
Just get a big enough disk in an external firewire/usb2 case and dd the whole disk to it and you are done.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I Agree. forget DVD
How much trouble is it to restore a partition?
No trouble at all, just dd it back the other way. 
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can you pipe dd thru tar to have a comporessed image of the partition?
-
warning
I just want to warn everyone about relying on this type of backup. What if in a middle of copying you hit a bad sector? You can't read it, and you've already lost the only backup you had. You really need to have a least two destinations, and alternate between them.
Similar Threads
-
By Maverick977 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-15-2005, 03:48 AM
-
By mwer in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:13 PM
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
-
By guardianx in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:47 AM
-
By UselessPython in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00