Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: applications-what where

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    applications-what where

    apologies first for the question as I know absolutely nothing. Having read through the remastering how to and not really understanding it I am reading a few tutorials. I have installed Knoppix 3.7 to my harddrive and would like to remaster it. I have a list of the general contents and a list of what I assume are about 10 pages of files of which I have no idea what they are and whether to remove them. Where can I find out what the applications are ( especially any critical ones) and what I can do with them? Also where are they. From reading I have seen that things like the language files and the office applications may be removed but I don't know where they are.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you read the apt-howto on the Debian site you will find some of the answers.
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
    especially the part with package removal.
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/-h....html#s-remove
    basically i would do a;
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove aplication
    the comand above should remove the aplication and its configfiles... BUT this may remove more things aswell that are dependant or a part of said aplication, you simply have to read some more on what each package does.

    The following options to apt-get may be useful:
    -h help text.
    -d Download only - do NOT install or unpack archives
    -f Attempt to continue if the integrity check fails
    -s No-act. Perform ordering simulation
    -y Assume Yes to all queries and do not prompt
    -u Show a list of upgraded packages as well
    keep reading and ask if you want more.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    You can get a despcripton of a package with-

    apt-cache search package_name

    And removing this way-

    apt-get remove --purge application

    will tell you what else will be removed and give you the option to abort, as well as show the amount of space you would free up.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93
    Thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly. I guess I'll get on with my homework now.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    packages

    to see packages and descriptions on your system do

    dpkg-query -l >out.txt

    the text file will be in the root directory

Similar Threads

  1. New applications
    By alanblundellxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
  2. add nvu and web applications ?
    By juklkj in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:39 AM
  3. Plastified applications.
    By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 10:09 PM
  4. Applications Problem
    By WyvernSpirit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 04:29 AM
  5. No Applications on Install
    By Aspren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 Laptop to Desktop Memory Adapter Card SO-DIMM To PC DIMM Lot picture

DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 Laptop to Desktop Memory Adapter Card SO-DIMM To PC DIMM Lot

$92.59



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S  2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory picture

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory

$27.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00